Author Topic: New to me fl350. Trans problem  (Read 497 times)

chriscaris

• View Profile
New to me fl350. Trans problem
« on: June 14, 2022, 10:29:40 PM »
I just got this fl350 with an issue with the trans I think. Attached is a video with the sound it’s making. The shifter doesn’t seem to select any gear though it seemed to select forward once with lots of coaxing. As I roll the fl350, it makes a ka-chunk noise from what seems to be the trans.

Thanks for any advice, I tried to attach a video.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: New to me fl350. Trans problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 09:23:03 AM »
Change the oil and look for metal bits in what you drain. If so, you need to take apart. It should spin smoothly when in neutral. That might just be that the cables are not adjusted and it is dragging though.

There are 2 needle bearings in the AB gear that are the first thing to wear out. Once worn enough, the AB gear can flop and drag other gears. It is worth a gasket to take apart, clean and check things out.

chriscaris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 11:24:50 AM »
Thanks! Will do!

chriscaris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 06:35:10 PM »
I drained the oil and sure enough, it was full of metal.  Do I try to fix this trans which will take most of the summer or buy a used one and swap it out? 
Either way I’ll Need a few special tools right?  And advice is appreciated.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 02:41:41 PM »
If you can find a used one at a decent price, you could do that. I would still tear that one apart and check it out. You might as well teat apart the one you have though to see where the metal came from.

I use an air hammer at the lightest setting that does the job to get the driven clutch off the input shaft. One person pulls on the clutch. The other uses the air hammer on a sacrificial bolt in the shaft with the washer removed. You can get an air hammer pretty cheap. Harbor Freight has them, but even a Cambell Hausfield from Home Depot does not cost that much. Everything else is just hand tools.