Author Topic: stix's new engine  (Read 33343 times)

Adnoh

• View Profile
Re: stix's new engine
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »
Glad you like it Stix. My babble can get out of control. I have to add a liitle here though.

After the talk with Stix I alter the port timing for the new pipe as noted in pics. Now I had to rework a head for his new set up. Before hacking his head up I talked to him and hacked a brand new 90 head up for his engine and he will keep his as a spare incase theres an issue or he's not happy with the hack job. I et it for around 165 crank compression and will enter the new ccnumber for a CCR number.

Any way here is the pics.

P.S. Stix your engine is allmost done, a few more details and I will drop it off in OKC at your house.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
more pics

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:03 PM »
Stixs your new CCR is right around 6.8 to 1. I will do a final check and number input for an exact for ya.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »
Well looks like this build is done and ready for Stixs to install. I did have a slight issue which I resolved however bothers me a little OK a lot. During the head rework I found a scratch in the cylinder wall. Some how I must have rut rued. I cleaned it up with a slight hone. I informed Stixs of the issue and what I did to resolve. Looks like not only will I be droping off his engine but a spare cylinder piston,rings ect just in case it becomes a bigger issue. After he has some time one it and all is well he can return it to me or install it and send the issue cylinder for repair.  I just hate it when I make a mistake however human.

I leak down tested it after tearing off the top end and reworking it. all paased ok. looks like it only cost me a base gasket or at least so far. I will also hold off giving him his repair bill for the part untill all is well. As usally no charge for labor. After all it is what I like to do and I'm no professional in any way just a back yard hacker.

Thanks everbody for viewing commenting and allowing me to share.

P.S. I found his case vent hose plugged. Be sure to check yours for the upcoming ridding season or a seal issue may ariase.

Adnoh.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2012, 01:30:37 PM »
Stix here is a pdf for reading on what we discussed related to the work. Hope it helps, though it was worth sharing.

stix

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2012, 11:14:51 PM »
So I can take a rev pipe, wrap in proper insulation and turn it into a torque pipe? P.S. I picked up the pipe from Mark today

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
Wrapping a pipe increases the temperature of the air in it. That in turn increases the speed of sound and making the return pulse arrive sooner. So it would alter the tuned RPM down. Note that it will also increase the temperature of the air going into the engine back out of the pipe.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2012, 10:40:06 AM »
Stixs I can see you getting a handle on the babble. Live wire is correct on the tempature. You have less heat loss which effects wave speed. Ask your self what the KEY word in the phrase "cerimic coated pipe". There a little more at play. So now ask your self since I wrapped it what would the effect be and why did I wrap it to begain with. Also ask your self, was there a shift needed? What engine pramintered warrented such a change? What had to be done to get the heat up to begain with for the wrap to work? After all the heat had to be generated to get the wave moving. More importantly are we moving form port to pipe or pipe to port. If we back up a little,ok a lot. When we talked about change to you engine we talked about you addition of a pipe.  So did we work, port to pipe or pipe to port. You can quickly see why I altered the port, CCR, squish and VTDC.  Heck just look the average alitude you run your engine and the ridding area. This also plays a part into the equation just pipe related which effects the work or pipe to port. Go back to the back pressure discussion and think about the effects of a higher elevation. The quick question, is more or less back pressure need at an higher elevation.  Think about the back pressure as it plays a part int he retune wave speed at a given tempature. You can get into trouble real quick with the wrong tune at stock engine specs as it relates to scavanging and port blocking.

Heres an example to think about. Stock engine and install a rev pipe, power block ( 8 to 9 weights) with a rev delete. Think throught the process and see what is affected. The engage ment speed is around 4500 to 4700 and the clutch run out engine rpm is around 7900 to 8000. Stock port timing with a CR of 6.2 to 1.

Is this an ideal set up for higher elevation ?

stix

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
Ok double check my reply cause might  be a lot of blah blah. We run at an elevation of 1500 near Waynoka. That is where I do final jetting after a new top end since that is primarily where we ride, like 99% of our riding is there. Higher elevation means less dense air, . Less air, more fuel....you need to lean your mixture. You wrote " Heres an example to think about. Stock engine and install a rev pipe, power block ( 8 to 9 weights) with a rev delete. Think throught the process and see what is affected. The engage ment speed is around 4500 to 4700 and the clutch run out engine rpm is around 7900 to 8000. Stock port timing with a CR of 6.2 to 1."  I would think a stock ported jug would not let the back pressure arrive back into the cylinder because the piston will close off the port too soon when coming on a high rev, therefore you would need to raise the port some as you did with my jug. Ok now keep in mind Im so green I might ribbet or maybe even croak but that is what Im getting from all this babbl babble. You ask if this is a good set up for higher elevation correct?You would jet you engine for the elevation so the transfers and or mixture shouldnt be affected with elevation once properly jetted, what else changes, you mean in the pipe?, ok, let me ponder, lower air density, lower cylinder pressure,so after scavaging and upon compression stroke less jug pressure meaning a rev pipe would return  be OK in this situation. Man how did you some up with that scenerio?? Please expound on why it would or would not be good for higher elevation.  These statements above should be read at you own risk, I am not an expert and would not even consider myself a hacker. So anyone reading this please consult with an expert before applying anythin above,,,,There thats my disclaimer!!

I wrote "So I can take a rev pipe, wrap in proper insulation and turn it into a torque pipe?" I wrote this to confirm what I read in the pdf. I wasnt inferring that I want to wrap my pipe I got from Mark. In fact the ceramic coating didnt hit home until you mention it. Are you saying that the pipe is ceramic coated to allow holding in heat? The pipe I got from Mark is ceramic coated but its a TORQUE pipe?!? This is getting tricky because I am thinking it could have been a REV pipe that was ceramic coated to achieve TORQUE type pipe??

stix

• View Profile
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:32:24 PM by stix »

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 10:45:17 PM »
Thanks for posting stixs. sounds like she is ready for some pulls.  check it over good before ridding it. hint hint.