Author Topic: Temp Light... Help  (Read 5313 times)

Niles

• View Profile
Temp Light... Help
« on: April 09, 2012, 02:07:23 PM »
Hey Everyone!!  It is awesome to find everyone again!!  Makes me reminiscent of the old days at the old board.  Anyway, the temp light on my pilot is coming one as soon as the key is turned to the on position even from being cold.  It cranks and idles fine.  Any ideas on what to check first??

Niles

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Temp Light... Help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
I would check the sensor first. Then check the wiring if that checks out.

Niles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »
Where is the sensor that I should be checking?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B851Fdu_42hLaE5MdDBLWHFReU9zQjhlWlB1bkU1QQ

Take a look at page 19-7 (248, in that version). The swicth is the one closer to center of the two in the radiator.

If you look at the wiring diagram (page 249 of that doc), you'll see that the temp light (bulb 3) is directly wired to the switch. Power flows directly through the temp sensor switch to illuminate the light. The connection is power from ignition, bulb, switch, ground. So a short to ground between the bulb and the switch would also cause the light to come on.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Well look who it is....Welcome aboard!!!!!

Niles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
Ok, I should have known that the masters could help me through!  It seems to be the sensor,  I unplugged it and the light went off, when the pilot was cold.  So I am guessing that means the sensor is toast?  So now the question, where can I get a new sensor soon??  It has a single pole kind of a blue color and has EG2 and 117 on engraved on it...  Any ideas for where I can get another?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:48:30 AM »
Looks like the switch is discontinued...Imagine that....You have 3 choices...It's just a simple thermal switch...The hard part will be finding one with the correct thread to screw into the radiator....Take it out and try to find a match....
Next choice is to get one that fits in the radiator fins and wire it up to your light...
Third choice is un-plug it or stick some electrical tape over the light and ride it....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
Actually I think the hardest part is finding one with the right temp value. Looking at a bunch of different Honda machines, I think many have the same thread. However, I have yet to find another machine with two sensors. With only one sensor, that is the fan switch. Even that may be a different temp. Probably or the part number would just be the same. It certainly won't be a high enough temp for the light.

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 08:58:06 PM »
I have 2 of these units right now, one on my XR650R and the other on my custom Harley...These do have readings for temp.  Not cheap units but they do provide a lot of information between the GPS data and various sensors...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/160/983/-/29868/Trail-Tech-Voyager-GPS-Computer

I'll be running one of these on my Pilot...
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »
I have 2 of these units right now, one on my XR650R and the other on my custom Harley...These do have readings for temp.  Not cheap units but they do provide a lot of information between the GPS data and various sensors...

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/53/160/983/-/29868/Trail-Tech-Voyager-GPS-Computer

I'll be running one of these on my Pilot...
I am thinking that the temp is 177deg f.......Curious what the water temp is when it gets to the bottom of the radiator? I would think a 150deg could be found....

Niles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:24 PM »
What temp range do we think would work?  I found one that might work but is 105 degrees.  What temps do pilots normally run at??  Is there anyway to repair the existing switch?? 

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
What temp range do we think would work?  I found one that might work but is 105 degrees.  What temps do pilots normally run at??  Is there anyway to repair the existing switch??
The only possible repair would be if it is a wireing (electrical) problem....The sensor is sealed and not servicable....It is located at the bottom of the radiator,so it's checking the temp of the cooled liquid after it goes through the radiator fins....I think 105 will be way low.....