Author Topic: Supertrapp silencer on a ?!?!?? expansion chamber??  (Read 9790 times)

dangumjessum

• View Profile
Supertrapp silencer on a ?!?!?? expansion chamber??
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:36:35 PM »
So, what i really need to know is if the expansion chamber i have on my odyssey that i FINALLY got running yesterday, is going to hurt it.  It HAD a supertrapp exhuast on the machine when i bought it, which i quickly took off before i got it running again, and put an old straight through freshly packed 'champion' style muffler on it until i can afford something better.  The chamber has no markings that i can tell, mounts up very nicely to the stock mounts but is definately not stock, and is just painted a black that has held up really well.  It fits the stock silencer out, and a DG Spigot at the motor, but has no DG stamp.  Any ideas?  If the description alone isn't good enough (which admittedly it probably isn't) i will work on getting some photos of it to post.  I talked to one other guy and he said if you dont know what it is, don't run it becuase people tried weird things with pipes about the same time they were trying Supertrapps on these in the later 80s.  It fits so nicely though with really nice mounts and it has no dents or anything, whereas my stock chamber is dented coming right out of the motor, so im thinking this pipe HAS to be a little better than that..... right?  THANKS!!
85 Fl350 overbored and Nicom plated back to 82mm. wiseco. ram-air airbox, Carbon-tech low-mid reeds, 32mm PE carb (for the moment) Older DG Exhaust w/straight through 'Champion' silencer,  Air-cooled (for the moment). 102c clutch

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Supertrapp silencer on a ?!?!?? expansion chamber??
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
Not only post pictures, but measure the pipe at different points. There are 3 straight sections and 2 or 3 cones. Measure around the outside of the three straight sections and the length of all sections. On curves, measure the inside and outside then average them.

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:31:45 AM »
So, I couldnt figure out how to embed images, and my images were too big for the uploader here, so i had to PhotoBucket them.
http://s110.photobucket.com/albums/n93/dangumjessum/Odyssey/
 Just click this link and check out all the pictures.

The peice of paper is my crude drawing of an attempt at measuring sections when i dont really see any 'sections'.  Instead it looks to me like the two sides of the main expansion body were made, (left side and right side) and then welded together on the top (when mounted in 350) and bottom with a continous lengthwise seam on the top and bottom only, with no horixontal seams in the main expansion body.  Starting at the motor spigot, i will indicate measured lengths in case you can't read my diagram

1. from spigot, around curve, to the end of first piece or section of the pipe,were it spring attaches to main section. outside 7" inside 5"
2. from beginning of second 'section' around curve to horizontal weld before expansion area 12" outside curve 8.5" inside curve. Pipe is 9.5" AROUND entering expansion area
3. from weld at beginning of expansion area to sharp bend to-flat when pipe gets above motor. 11.5" frontside, 11" inside/underside
4. 14.5" AROUND at sharp bend-to-flat, this is widest area of expansion chamber
5. from main bend to end of pipe/silencer nipple 15.5" on top, 15" on underside of bend to silencer nipple.
6. about 4" around at silencer nipple, fits stock silencer, though i am running a 'champion'style silencer w/fresh packing.

The main thing i am wondering is if this will HURT my fresh motor in any way.  What i am hoping for is that i got lucky and it is a NICE chamber that is actually similiar to the DG or other acceptable/beneficial pipes.  I will be doing another couple break-in sessions under half throttle tomorrow, friday, so let me know what you think of the Pipe.  There is a Coffmans pipe and silencer on Ebay right now that seems to have IDENTICAL mounts, but the curve coming right out of the spigot @ motor seems way less pronounced than my chamber's curve (curve left if looking at front of motor w/seat out).  Also looks a little 'blockier' with easier to identify 'sections' than mine, but kinda looks like it has only two main seams/welds like mine.
85 Fl350 overbored and Nicom plated back to 82mm. wiseco. ram-air airbox, Carbon-tech low-mid reeds, 32mm PE carb (for the moment) Older DG Exhaust w/straight through 'Champion' silencer,  Air-cooled (for the moment). 102c clutch

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
It is a DG, just an old one. Someone probably put the Supertrapp on because the original was too loud. It is a good pipe, paint it up with some high temp black. Even getting it ceramic coated would cost less than a new one. You could put a better silencer on it like this: http://aftershockmotorsports.com/cart/index.php?main_page=page&id=22

In the row above the smilies, second icon over is for embedding an image. Click that then paste the URL for the image. I could bump up the allowable image upload. I thought I had already set it to larger than default.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:10:24 PM by LiveWire »

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:18:10 AM »
So, does that silencer have a spark arrestor on it, and is it quite a bit quieter than the champion style i have on now?  I know you can't give a definitive answer since you havn't heard my setup, but in general, is it a tiny bit quieter, or quite a bit quiter?  I am trying to make myself as legal as possible for riding in forest service trails and lands.  If that one doesnt have a spark arrestor, know any others that do? Thanks once again for your time!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:22 AM »
That silencer has a built in spark arrester. It is a spiral type which adds little if an back pressure compared to a screen type add on. It is significantly quieter than the DG silencer or the Power Pros silencer. It is quiet enough to ride on state lands in Michigan.

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »
Sooo.... I'm thinking this is the final question of this thread..... How much for the Turbine core silencer? 

And so you can answer my other question in the same place, (see my other thread if lost) How reliable do you think my Oddy will be without that water-cooled head?  You suggested the Works shocks to the top of my list, but i am just worried about having some $400 shocks sitting on my seized-and-parked odyssey, becuase they would be doing me no good in that situation, and thats why i was thinking water-cooled head first.  You looked over the cylinder when you Nicom plated it, said the bridge was relieved a bit more than you releive, but other than that was a good solid cylinder.  Has lube holes in coated piston (by you).  will be riding it sometimes at sea-level in the high 90's (probably fields and farms mostly), and (hopefully) at about 7000 feet 70s-80s, on forest trails. 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »
Are you talking just the cost of the silencer or with it modified to fit the FL350?

With the pipe being your only significant power mod, you can get away with just running it rich to keep it cool enough.

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:29:37 AM »
Well, either one really... I could GET access to a welder, but dont own one so it wouldn't be TOO easy for me to modify it to fit, but is definately a possibility.  I guess i should have asked if you sell that setup first, since i know it doesn't have a price anywhere on the website.  Do you stock these, or would you just be ordering it for me from somewhere, modifying it, and then mailing it to me?  If thats the case i would probably like to just acquire it myself somewhere else, but if they are a common or easy thing for you to get or you stock them i'd like to support Aftershock!  So, let me know if its worth while for you to get the silencer, and if so how bout a price for it bolt-on (if you would offer that option) and price for it unmodified? 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:02:46 AM »
I have  Pro-Circuit 296 silencer which is equivalent to the FMF Turbine Core Q. $145 shipped for it. I only have the one. I meant to make a jig for modifying them, but never did.

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »
Is that for one that is ready to slip on my pipe? if so deal! paypal would be best for me, or a phone order could work if you needed that. If not, the oddy dg pipe wont fit any 250 or 125 or 500 silencer applications?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:00:37 PM »
No, that is the off the shelf silencer.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 08:01:51 PM »
Do you need the USFS approved spark arrester to be legal or do they just do the stick test?

dangumjessum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »
well id like to have the usfs approved, but i'm not sure what kind of test they do, as i hav'nt actually been out there yet.  Tahoe is super environmentally conscience and had a huge forestfire 2 summers ago, so i bet they check pretty good.  I was looking up that silencer and it says its USFS endorsed doesn't it? or are you thinking about some other silencer i could use?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
That one is USFS approved and stamped on it. I am thinking about another option if it only needed to pass the stick test.