Author Topic: Hole in Bottom Case  (Read 860 times)

Naeglew

• View Profile
Hole in Bottom Case
« on: October 04, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »
I know there are a lot of threads about rebuilding that I’ll be scouring but I want to know the best way to correct this hole first and if it is salvageable. If it is what is the best product to patch it? JB Weld?

Other items for consideration. It is running with an aftermarket liquid cooled head and radiator. the previous owner bought it that way so I’m two owner’s removed from the mods and don’t have a lot of information on it.

Please let me know your thoughts and where I should start. Prior to the engine cutting out I was planning on replacing the clutch due to the slipping. Now I’m looking at a little bit more of a project.

I also included a photo of the aftermarket head and pipe/silencer. if you have any information on this head type that would be appreciated.

Thanks

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Hole in Bottom Case
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:25:29 AM »
You have to get it apart first. The hole is because something did not fit between crank and case. It may not be the only damage. There may be cracks all the way around. Your crank needs to be rebuild, even if it looks good. The bearings would all have been damaged. That is the exit side of the spinning crank. So whatever it was, had to travel from the front to get there. If you have damage to both sides, I would look at picking up a used bottom end.

Naeglew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 02:21:39 PM »
Thanks LiveWire. What is the best route to go around finding a used bottom end? I've scoured local reselling sites. Is there a steady supply out there?

Also, I've attached the other photos I mentioned in my original post. Any information on this set-up?

Thanks

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:47 AM »
I have not looked in a while, but there were quite a few spare bottom ends out there. When Honda did a recall and replaced many engines, the ones pulled out will pop up every once in a while. Looks like there are multiple sets of cases on eBay right now.