Author Topic: crank bearings and seals  (Read 4046 times)

jimmy450r

• View Profile
crank bearings and seals
« on: February 18, 2017, 05:31:06 PM »
traded for a 1983 FL250, road the fun little thing around a bit then it died (locked up tight). I have since got it freed up but there is a catch in it as the crank spins. Pulled the motor out and have top end off but I don't have the "special tools" to pull the flywheel or drive pulleys.
In searching the forum someone mentioned using self tap screws???
I tried a 3 jaw puller on the drive pulley but no luck (didn't want to screw it up)
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: crank bearings and seals
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
Get the right tools. You need them.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Rj1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
The pullers are not that much and if you have 2 odyssey There will come a time you will need them.The odyssey's are well over 30 years old so you have to like wrenching on them  . I have a Fl350 and my son has aFL250 and it takes a lot of work keeping them going and you have to search for most of the parts but its all worth it when you get to ride them . If you have any quotations let me know I have had my son 250 apart many times . Good luck with them

jimmy450r

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:19:12 PM »
Got lucky, bought the pullers and as soon as I got the flywheel off there was an old piece of a pull start behind it. pulled it out and crank spins free now. Guess I now have bearings and seals for later.
Next question, I don't see a drain plug for crankcase. I would assume there has to be some oil in there for the crank. Information for these old machines are very elusive online

Rj1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
It's a 2 stroke so the oil is in with the gas . Now with your gears there is oil but there is no drain plug on the botto the only plug is the fill plug . I tipped my son's 250 on its side to drain the old oil out . I'm glad I did I don't think the oil was ever changed in over 30 years . Did you do a leak down test on your cylinder to make sure you don't have an air leak . Pick up a Manuel you can down load one our you can buy a hard copy off Ebay its worth it to spend the money on one