Author Topic: Trailing arm shock mount question  (Read 2978 times)

CurtisR401

• View Profile
Trailing arm shock mount question
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:57:09 AM »
Hello,
I have a question on the lower shock mount on the trailing arm. I recently bought a new trailing arm for my fl350 because it was bent. The new trailing arm lower shock mount is different than the one that I removed. The new one seems to have a sleeve inside of it with a smaller diameter. What is the correct fitment & why are they different? Can I remove the sleeve to use the existing bolts or should I get new bolts and keep the sleeve? I attached 2 pictures for reference.
Thanks, Curtis

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:10:47 AM by CurtisR401 »

CurtisR401

• View Profile
Re: Trailing arm shock mount question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 06:53:51 PM »
I decided to use the existing bolts.  The sleeves/washers were pretty easy to remove from the trailing arm. I didn't want to compromise the strength of the rear shock by using a different bolt. I don't think the smaller bolt would have fit the rear shock properly anyway. Strange I'm the only person that has experienced this....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:10:31 AM by CurtisR401 »

Muscrat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »
I wish i would have joined earlier, my suggestion being a pipe fitter and working with fasteners every day, you could find a different sized bolt of the same tensile strength and sheering point of the old bolt to replace it, Do you have a photo of the old bolts?

there are small indicators usually on the head of the bolt to show the over all "strength" of the bolt.

CurtisR401

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
I'll check the bolts this afternoon and let you know if they are marked. I'll also post a picture of the sleeve/washer. The issue with a smaller bolt is that it would not have been able to fit the lower shock mount. It would have been to small. I am wondering if there were different shocks used on the FL350's or if someone tried to retrofit it with different shocks. Maybe the Works shocks use a different size bolt?

CurtisR401

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 02:24:42 PM »
So there were no markings on the bolts. Here is a picture of the 4 sleeves I removed.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
That arm had a Works shock attached to it. Those sleeves come with the shocks which use a standard 1/2" spherical rod end at the bottom.

CurtisR401

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Good to know, thank you. I'll hang on to them. I hope to upgrade my rear shocks soon.