Author Topic: seal size  (Read 5361 times)

girth first

• View Profile
seal size
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:39:09 PM »
I dont suppose anyone knows the seal size for the right side of my pilot transmission out put shaft, she is a leakin and this millrwrights a tweekn. I cant stand oil leaks. 

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: seal size
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 08:07:03 AM »
45x58x7mm

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 11:19:04 PM »
Thanks Hoodlum, i guess i should have ask if it was a single or a double lip seal? also do i have to remove the output shaft to change the seal or can i just remove the old one and gently install the new one back into the case

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »
It is double lip... You are referring to the seal where the axle comes out? You do have to remove the cv cup to replace the seal...The final shaft inside the tranny does not come out without taking the tranny apart...

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:39:03 PM »
You are correct and i am talking the trans seal on the outside case. i didnt know what to call it because i lost my downloaded version of the pilot manual and cant seem to download it again Thanks for the info and follow up info. It is nice to know i can always depend on you folks on this forum to steer me in the right direction.

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 12:58:46 AM »
Just getn around to removing the stub axle to remove and replace the case seal on the right side of the machine i have everything hanging on a seporate comealong but the stub wont budge. I need to make a slide hammer to expidite this but in the mean time i was looking at a parts diagram and it showed a retaining clip on the end of the stub that goes into the trans dont see how this could be it would be impossible to get to it unless you split the case. i was hoping it was a typo on the parts print, can anyone tell me if i have to do anything more than to just slam the stub with a slide hammer to get it free

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 08:21:57 PM »
They can be REAL tough to get out. The ring is supposed to compress into the groove as the stub is pulled out. I've seen all kinds of attempts to get them out. A slide hammer hooked to the cv cup seems to be the best, as you mention. You can lay the trans over and soak the area in penetrating oil  to loosen the rust. You can apply heat, carefully, just don't cook the seal. Tap the cup to try a break the rust loose. Try both sides, because if you can get one out, you can drive the other out.

I've heard of drilling a hole through one of the stuck stubs to push a rod into to push the other side out, although I've never seen it done. Proceed at your own risk with this method.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 01:34:47 AM »
Well the stub shaft is out and so is the seal. 45x58x7 was the wrong side. does anyone know were to get the 35x57x9mm#18 on the drawing, also does the new seal have to have the metal face on it or can i just use a standard rubber double lip seal with the same dimentions