Author Topic: Big Tom's LT Pilot is departing the states.  (Read 2855 times)

Toyman

• View Profile
Big Tom's LT Pilot is departing the states.
« on: March 03, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »
Big Tom's  LT Pilot is on it's way to Canada. Mark W. has sold it to John W. of Winnipeg. This was a very well restored and improved long travel Pilot with a whole lot of history. Just to share one experience; Big Tom invited me to share the driving to a race held at Spring Valley, Ohio many moons ago. He drove up from Houston, Tx. 14 hrs. to pick me up. We drove 17 more hours to S.V. Ohio. Tom entered the mod. class with this car. It was still a 400 but L.T. He got second place in the mod. class. Tom had also brought a pristine stock 400 for me to race. I'd never raced before so Tom had me do some hot laps in this L.T. to learn to jump the car. I entered the stock class and got first place. This was all just bragging rights as the pay was like 60 bucks for my win. On the way back we stopped at a gas station that had a Dirt Cheap label on practically everything in the store. We both bought cases of what was truly poor beer but had this cool dirt Cheap label on it with a Red Rooster. This was a no brainer for a name for the newly established Pilot racing team. Chime in if you have some history to share about Big Tom or his Pilot that once also raced in the dessert. Hopefully John or Mark will post a picture of it.
Toyman

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: Big Tom's LT Pilot is departing the states.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 11:56:21 AM »
Big Tom came out for a race at Stone City Ranch that a decent sized group showed up for. Radical, The Shifter, Livewire,  Moskito, PilotHawK, stlracer25, among others. It was quite a showing of some of the more well known group of racers in the community at that time, now that I think of it. It's one of my fondest memories. Here's some pictures of that day.

http://www.downhomeracing.com/opr/page11.shtml
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)