Author Topic: One stuck clutch!!!  (Read 4007 times)

RobDek

• View Profile
One stuck clutch!!!
« on: August 16, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
That's one stuck clutch!!!  Thank goodness it's heading to the scrap bin.  The puller bolt stripped the threads on the clutch and it went all downhill from there.  The blind hole puller holds but not making any headway.  Time for a gear puller.  I'm hesitant to cut off the rest of the clutch as I don't want to harm the crank shaft.  In the mean time...soak, heat and quench...tap tap tap...and repeat.

Coming off in bits & pieces.  The secondary clutch came off so easy!!!

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: One stuck clutch!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 09:20:04 AM »
Rob...try to get something threaded to weld on there. Slide hammers and crankshafts are not good allies. Perhaps fabricate a custom solid stub that fits the length to the crankshaft bottom (narrow to clear the threads) and weld a nut to whats left of the fixed sheave. Use the heat from welding to your advantage and quickly zap some pressure to a bolt up against the stub while its warm from welding. If you have no luck with the heat...grease helps in making a hydraulic press if you fill the end of the crank up. So long as your puller setup traps the grease when you start cranking on it...it will help in getting it to pop. Good luck...I have seen some real messes trying to pop clutches and flywheels from tapered shafts. Try not to bang on it too much with heavy stuff...a crank problem could easily result. If it comes to it...you may have to take a dremel and cut a few precision slices...and then get it to split open with a sharp chisel. 

PS without a way to hold the clutch...you will have to use an impact gun...which is kind of your last resort in this kind of situation. Im sure you know...but DONT try to hold the crank in any way from the pull start side or with a piston stop...you will twist the crank for sure.

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 09:56:44 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't weld and my welding guy recently retired.  I'm going to try a gear puller this afternoon.  If that fails, it's Dremel time!!!  It's been soaking in penetrating fluid since yesterday so hopefully it will let go peacefully.

Why people don't use anti-seize when assembling components...I'll never understand!!!    :-\

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
So much for the gear puller idea.  I tried two different models, not enough clearance for either...   :-[

Crap...I don't want to go much deeper.  Took a few whacks with a chisel and applied the puller.  Still no movement.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 11:17:45 AM by RobDek »

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 12:47:49 PM »
OK...another cut...

Making headway piece by piece...

Sucker still won't budge.

Success!!!

A touch of collateral damage but no worries.  No signs of corrosion, it was just stuck on really good!!!!

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »
Glad you got it off...the crank got some cuts huh? What kind of depth is that one on the left side in your last picture?

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
It's a superficial wound...the patient will live.  As expected when flying blind...

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 06:39:37 PM »
Out with the old and in with the new.  Just waiting on my machinist to finish up the cylinder head and piston and it will be time to stitch it all back together again.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:03:39 PM »
I like the 94c with the ribbed cover. Good choice IMO. Keeps the pucks from slipping and smearing on a hard pull.

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »
All stitched up and rolling once again.