Author Topic: fl250 engine swap (400ex)  (Read 4688 times)

richie13

• View Profile
fl250 engine swap (400ex)
« on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:23 PM »
Ok so I picked up an odyssey that had a scored piston and cylinder. I want to get away from the 2stroke altogether. So I have a spare 400ex engine and I would like 2 strap it in to this odyssey. I?m just wandering if anyone out there has done something similar to this. I have seen all kinds of snowmobile engines put in them but I don?t have an engine out of a snowmobile, I have a 400ex. The odyssey I have has been completely altered in about every way. About 3 owners ago it was used as a mini racer so they put a different front suspension on it and a completely different cage and body so please don?t shame me for cutting it up. If it was a runner and wasn?t all messed up I would rebuild it and run it. Anyhow what I am thinking is I have enough room to mount the engine next to the belt drive on the axle. I want to run a jack shaft on a set of pillow block bearings where the original 250 was. I got 3 junk lower ends with it when I bought it so I want to cut off the crank and machine a counter bore into it so I can weld a shaft on it with a sprocket so it will match up with chain drive on my 400ex engine. I won?t be able to move the jack shaft forward or back and I don?t want to make the engine on a slide plate 2 tighten it so I was thinking a spring tensioner on the coast side would work. I want 2 put a linkage setup on it to shift it and keep the belt drive. I plan on putting the shifter right next to the seat on the left hand side and bypassing the neutral switch up on my 400ex wiring harness. I think that if the belt system is working right I won?t need a clutch because there won?t be a load on the trany at low engine rpm because the belt should come all the way to stop on the engine side. If anyone has done this please let me know how it turned out and what kind of engine you used. Thanks for reading this novel of a post.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: fl250 engine swap (400ex)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:45:04 PM »
Maybe look at a Polaris 500 since it is belt drive. With a Comet driven for an FL250, you can use the Polaris drive clutch and belt.