Author Topic: New to FL350s' need advise  (Read 2658 times)

ducrider123

• View Profile
New to FL350s' need advise
« on: September 05, 2013, 10:22:58 PM »
First of all Hello everyone.

I just bought a FL350 Oddy this weekend. This is the first time I have ever seen one. I thought it was very cool, and it was reasonable so I figured I would buy it and work on it, as I am a gear-head. I performed a leak-down test and it held 10 psi for 30 minutes. I did a compression test and it came back at 50 psi. Horrible. I pulled the head and it is clean. The piston has a little bit of carbon on it. With the piston still in the cyclinder I turned the crank and it spun very easy. I then pulled the cylinder and the piston and cylinder are unmarred. I cleaned the piston (sticky film on everything). I measured the bore quickly with an inside-bore micrometer and came out to 3.157in (80.188mm If conversion is right) I am not really sure what direction to go from here.

Also the reads on the intake are a clear plastic and one side had a gap between it and the housing.

thank you in advance for any help.

shoubadaba

• View Profile
Re: New to FL350s' need advise
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:56 PM »
slide the piston into the bore and use a feeler gauge to measure the cylinder to piston and report back

ducrider123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
.035in

shoubadaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:44:05 PM »
Bore is too large so you need to get a 80.50mm piston kit and bore the cylinder to fit and reassemble and your ready to go

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 09:32:00 AM »
slide the piston into the bore and use a feeler gauge to measure the cylinder to piston and report back

Horrible method

I measured the bore quickly with an inside-bore micrometer and came out to 3.157in

Good method. The only thing is you would want to check at various points. You will likely find the most wear is above the intake port. Your next step would be to use an outside micrometer to measure the piston on the bottom. It is tapered so the top is smaller and shoving a feeler gauge in there tells you nothing.

Without knowing your piston measurement though, here is what I do know. Wiseco shoots for a 3.150 bore with their 80mm piston based on .003" piston to wall clearance. I run .005" piston to wall clearance. So the bore is usually close to 3.152 +/- depending on the specific piston. With a measurement of .005 over that, is it clear you have excessive wear even if I can't tell you exactly how much too much.

Here is something you might like to read:
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/technical-articles/FL350-Rebuild-Tips

These are likely the reeds you have:
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Fuel-and-Air/Boyesen-Reeds