Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 5315 times)

Athis

• View Profile
Suspension
« on: March 03, 2013, 08:34:50 PM »
Right so....."works" shocks are apparently made out of gold or they are the super deluxe shock for those folks out there really driving these things all out.
Let me ask a simple question that's probably been brought up 100 times.
Are there no "reasonable" alternatives out there in terms of price/performance? And if not, what is the limitation that is causing this?

I have searched and have found other shocks with the same eye to eye dimensions as the stock shocks. Priced around 87 bucks for the pair, it makes me wonder what's up with these shocks.
Are they just bad ride? Or will they'll bust on the first ride?

Also, do FL350 owners tend to modify suspension to open the field of suspension choices?  How does one get around 1300 bucks to outfit just one Ody?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 11:22:56 PM »
Shocks are designed for weight...In other words, a shock made for a 300# quad will be way too soft for an ody....Buy a pair for $87, ship them to the manf. and pay to have them re-valved,plus a new spring,then send them back and re-valved after you find out it isn't right, etc. You see where I'm going....The $87 shocks have now cost you about the same as a set of works would....I personally wouldn't spend the extra for the fronts since the j-arms are limited anyways, but it's well worth the change for the rear...
Hoodlum

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
I'm right there with ya Hood, but I guess the point I was trying to make/ask is. There are a LOT of shocks out there.....TONS for all sorts of different applications.
I just find it incredibly hard to believe there arn't "reasonable" options....say a set of front and rear shocks for 500 bucks.

Are there no existing shocks that fit the bill so-to-speak?

As it stands now, I paid 1700 bucks for the whole Ody, and it would take 1300 bucks to put new shocks on it..... :o

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 10:25:47 AM »
At least the stock shocks were intended for the machine. Why spend any money if it will not improve over stock? If the compression damping is too hard, the machine will be stiff. If too soft, it will bottom too easily. If the rebound damping is too stiff, the machine will kick driving over a hole because the wheel will not drop fast enough. The machine will drop then kick off the back side of the hole. If rebound damping is too soft, you'll have a pogo stick. Damping is affected by spring rate as well. So thinking you can swap springs if the shock you pick is wrong, well that will throw the damping settings out the window. Works shocks have separate high speed and low speed compression damping. They are digressive meaning that the faster they move, the more fluid is allowed to pass, but at a falling rate. You don't want them to have a maximum shaft velocity. That would be like a belly flop on water.

Many people do not understand why car shocks are so much cheaper. I overheated my factory shocks on my off road package truck on the whoops in the entry ramp to Silver Lake dunes. While they look big, car shocks have a double body to keep their length short. The nitrogen charge in them is between the two bodies. The term mono body shock means the nitrogen is either on one end or in an external reservoir. They are better shocks.

The OEM shocks, when available, cost more for a pair than a pair of Works shocks. The OEM shocks are junk by comparison. A pair of rear Works shocks for an FL350R is some of the best money spent. The improvement in ride cannot be over stated.

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 12:06:19 PM »
Understood. I just can't believe there isn't anything from another vehicle available from an engineering standpoint to satisfy all of the great points you made.

Livewire, can Works shocks be re-furbished?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 12:58:32 PM »
Yes, they can be rebuilt, unlike the stock shocks or anything cheaper. The seal kits are not that expensive. I have changed the seals, oil and nitrogen in a few pairs before. You have to have access to a nitrogen bottle.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Livewire, do you know if Fox Airs will bolt on? I know they are not considered the best option, but they are tunable and rebuildable. They would cost about $1,000 new, not that much cheaper.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 01:14:58 PM by odypilots »
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 01:35:11 PM »
There is one the length of the rear. They won't bolt up though. The bottom could use the bolt kit included with the Works which is about $50 separate. The top would need a custom bolt setup. I know you use Fox Air, but I am not a fan of them, especially when Works already has a dialed in setup.

I have a pair of springs to replace the upper most ones on the Works shocks for your Pilot. It will make the initial spring rate similar to the Aftershock build like Hoodlum has.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
I just mentioned them since Athis is really looking for options. We need to talk about converting my Works shocks.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:01 PM »
All great info and feed back guys I appreciate it very much. The fact that Works shocks can be refurbished is a big plus! Great to know ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:01:40 AM by Athis »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 11:27:40 PM »
There is one the length of the rear. They won't bolt up though. The bottom could use the bolt kit included with the Works which is about $50 separate. The top would need a custom bolt setup. I know you use Fox Air, but I am not a fan of them, especially when Works already has a dialed in setup.

I have a pair of springs to replace the upper most ones on the Works shocks for your Pilot. It will make the initial spring rate similar to the Aftershock build like Hoodlum has.

And may I say I enjoy them very much!!! My back enjoys them for the most part!!!!

nevadanotch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
Understood. I just can't believe there isn't anything from another vehicle available from an engineering standpoint to satisfy all of the great points you made.

Livewire, can Works shocks be re-furbished?

Athis, one of the problems you are going to run into is that the FL350 has a strange swing axle setup which makes the shock move in an unusual manner.  Not only does it move up and down, it also swings outward as the rear suspension moves through its travel.

To accommodate for this swing out, the bottom mount of the shocks need to be a Heim style mount.
High Speed Soil Sampler!

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »
Yeah I've noticed that. Well, considering the modifications I'm going to make, I may as well go all the way and spring for the proper suspension.