Author Topic: New Pilot  (Read 4469 times)

toyman280

• View Profile
New Pilot
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:23:18 AM »
Hi everyone just picked up a pilot the other day. Looking at all the different things that can be done to make better and even more fun to ride. Where to start. First of all i live in Canada so parts here are a impossible thing to get. Good thing for package express and only living 30 minutes from boarder. My pilot is completely stock the only thing ever done was a back fender changed.The owner said it even has the original tires on it. The first owner rode it in a field and spent more time looking at it and cleaning it then riding. However he didn't abuse it but didn't baby it. I have looked over machine and all seems well but will be looking at getting bushing, bearings, and rebuild kits. Frame has no dents. I will run it stock for a while and enjoy it before any mods. I believe in protecting what you have so i will look for bumper front and back(would like hondaline rear bumper), full skids, and maybe Nerf bars. I can't figure out why no one has made a arm protectors like they make for quads. I have one on my Raptor and it saved it a few times. I rent space from a company that builds custom planes and makes custom parts for planes all over the world. He has every tool from cnc to laser cutters. I was talking to owner and he said he could make anything i needed. So I mentioned skids and long travel a arms he thinks its easy. However i see the hours people have spent and there was no talk on price.
Now my problem when going over machine i opened up air filter box and something VERY important was missing. No air filter. i think it was so old and never checked it disintegrated. The pilot is on its original piston. my Question is Top end for sure, should i do bearings and connecting rod in bottom end.
-ATV racing Bumpers, skids, Any pros or cons.   
-Nerf bars pros or cons.
I ride on old logging roads up through mountains. some are very ruff, big washouts, rocks, ruts, and steep hills. However the views are unbelievable when you make it to the top and can look down into the valleys.
I have more questions but i will stop there. First thing is to protect and rebuild so its reliable and like new. It should then last another 20years.
PS if anyone has opinion on different bushing, bearings, and rebuild kits i would appreciate it. I was looking at aftershock, allballs, atvracing,american cv.if i am missing any let me know and i hope its ok to put company's names if not i apologise and will remove.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: New Pilot
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:42:41 AM »
It's not a bad idea to do the bottom end while you have it apart. Some people swear by a leak down test before dis assembly. I have some ATV racing bumpers and nerfs, and I like them. Nerfs are another thing some love and some don't. They can be just one more thing to get hung up on, but slide into a tree or big rock and they are handy.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 05:36:39 PM »
If the bottom end bearings and rod bearings are in spec, I would not replace them. I would only do the top end. If ran without an air filter, they may not be in spec though.

There is more to A-arms than just making the arms. If you just stretch stock arms, a good chunk of your travel before the ball joints bind will be after the frame is under the ground. You also have to work out the steering because to get the most travel, you have to have an anti-bump steer setup or the tie rods will hit the frame.

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:45 PM »
Is there a way to check bottom end without taking it apart? I have done a lot of top ends but never touched a bottom allways taken it in. I am going to do a compression test just to see where its at but will still do top end.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 07:23:32 AM »
With the top end off and the seals out, you can tell if there is vertical play in the bearings.

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:23:12 AM »
just did a compression test it was 143.  From the manual i think it should be 149-156. is 143 on the low side.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 08:38:35 AM »
Several different factors determinf compression such as altitude, bore, and head cc but 143 is pretty good for a stock engine. Did you hold the throttle wide open when checking it?
Hoodlum

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
Yes i held the throttle open. I did it with the throttle closed and then again with the throttle open both times read 143. the elevation is 10m and it is the original piston. I am going to pull it just for the fact that he ran without a airfilter. Just wonted to see what shape the motor was in to help me decide if i pull botton end.

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 01:54:24 PM »
some pics. hope this works.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
You can take the head off and inspect the cylinder walls and ring gap without removing the cylinder...
Another trick to checking ring wear...You have a compression reading already...Take a couple of spoon fulls of 2 stroke oil and pour it into the spark plug hole,directly on top of the piston and re-check the compression...It will or should increase slightly, but more than a 7-10psi increase usually is a sign of worn rings and/or cylinder...
Hoodlum

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
I put the oil down the cylinder (cap full) and it went from143-148. Keep in mind the cage for the air filter is there so that means it got sucked through the motor. being foam it should have just got burn up.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:05 PM »
I would run it and see what happens...Make sure there are no air leaks, and keep an eye on the compression...I think you will be fine... Filter media shouldn't be near as hard as a reed, and I have sucked them through before with no ill effects...
Hoodlum

toyman280

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 01:01:43 AM »
cool thanks for the advice. I will. Its my first one so I would like to drive it this year and put the money into skids and bumpers. I was hoping to make it because if I tear it down would like to get it ported. I would like a season stock so if i do upgrade something i will have something to compare it to. I was looking at pictures of your pilot (hoodlum) It is a nice machine. I will get mine there one day. will the 05 trx 450r disk brakes work on the aftershock  long travel suspension.