Author Topic: XR650L Engine  (Read 7213 times)

Athis

• View Profile
XR650L Engine
« on: February 27, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
Hey  all,

I'm in need of some advice. Last week I purchased three, 350's. Two in great working condition for 1700 bucks and the third is a rolling chassis with everything minus the top end I picked up for 500 bucks. Honestly I am not interested in trying to bring the third up to it's stock working condition as it is an extra and I eventually  plan to convert all three to water cooled 4 stroke engine system. My though was to pull the engine/ transmission, use it as spares for the other 2 for the time being and using it as my project Ody.  Whether or not I pull the Trans depends on the type of engine I decide to go with.

A friend of mine offered me his running Honda 93', XR650L for 500 bucks. It's an air cooled electric start standard shifting Enduro engine which means I will have to fabricate a chain drive system, mounts, shifter, clutch ect.

Do any of you guys have experience or know someone who's used this particular engine? Does it get hot? How's the performance? Is it something to even consider as an alternate?

Last but not least I am new to this forum. In the past 2 days I went thru all 23 pages of the 350 section, reading and saving the information I've had questions about. One particular thread that talked about engine swapping mentioned the Polaris 500 HO. They go for around 500 bucks or more depending on conditions. This is definitely something I'm interested in because it's water cooled (and takes advantage of the existing transmission)....and thus my dilemma on which engine to purchase.

Some additional information about me that may help. I'm a manufacturing engineer for an aircraft company and I have a machine shop at home which includes fabrication equipment and a small cnc so please don't shy away from technical talk. 

Thank you all for the wonderful posts full of great information over the years. It is greatly appreciated!  :)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 11:30:37 AM by Athis »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: XR650L Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
One thing to consider with the xr.... Air cooled bike engines are designed with smaller heat transfer fins on the cylinders for the simple fact that the engine is mounted up front with nothing blocking air from hitting the engine to cool it...It is also designed to stay within an optimal operating temp range while moving a 200lb bike with a rider....Add a seat in front of the engine blocking air, not to mention a 600lb buggy with a rider, and you are bound to have heat problems....
There have been several transplants, and in my opinion, the best ones are done using sled engines with belt drive, and making a jack shaft to adapt the stock gear box with the driven to match the sled clutch....If I were going through the trouble of a swap, I would definately be leaning towards the watercooled...
Hoodlum

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »
Thank you Hood!
To be honest I was leaning in the same direction.
The Polaris 500 OH with the stock Ody Trans seems like the way to go.

beerme

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
i seen this odyssey on www.dtsfab.com look under member  daveM he has put a klr650 in an odyssey frame and seems to work very well

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:50:25 PM »
i seen this odyssey on www.dtsfab.com look under member  daveM he has put a klr650 in an odyssey frame and seems to work very well

Klr's are water cooled...

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:29:57 PM »
Cool, thank you guys,  I will have to wait till tomorrow. Looks like their site needs an admin to approve my registration before I can see the forums.  :-\
The price of  the KLR engine seems comparable to the higher prices Polaris 500 Ho's.
Wish I could see the fabrication mods necessary to fit it in.....guess I'm gonna have to wait till the morning.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:16 AM »
I have a quad with a KLR engine in it and it runs hot in that. It is set up for asphalt racing with slicks all the way around. The radiator overflow is routed to the back bumper just so when it blows off, it doesn't hit the rider.

The Polaris 500 would be the best option for a 4 stroke transplant since it is single cylinder and CVT. I think it is still tight getting everything in. Swapping the seat to a Kirkey circle track seat will gain a couple inches of room at the front of the engine compartment. I would put the battery in front of the master cylinder too.

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
So I was able to check it out this morning and sure enough, the mods were considerable but pretty straight forward.
The one feature that seems cool on the Polaris is the option for pull starting. I've never personally tried to start one so perhaps this isn't something to even consider vs having an engine you could bump start in gear.
My biggest concern is to chose an engine that I can get parts for. Having said that I also want the same response the current 350 engine provides. The 350 is snappy and spins those rear tires perfectly to drift the rear end.
Do you guys think, the Polaris still provide me with the same type of performance? Or will it be a more subdued 4 stroke torque like behavior?

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »
The feedback I heard from the guy who did the Polaris 500 swap was that the performance was equal. Clutch tuning plays a big part of how snappy it may feel. I don't recall if he had to do much clutch tuning to get it how he liked it.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 07:42:32 PM »
Oh that's awesome! I'm gonna try to find some pics of people whom have made the mods....curious to see what take they have on it.
If you guys know of any links I would really appreciate if you could share them with me. :)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:31 AM »
If I recall right, this stuff was on a board that is no longer up.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
Cool it's all good, I'll design it up and document it if you guys like. Perhaps it can be a, "build along" for those interested in using this type of engine at some point in time.

Fat Bastard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
To go back to the XR650. If its like the XR600 it stores oil in the frame also. Lots of better options out there. Would be a hell of a heal on the bike for $500. Nice work/pleasure ride. Id have a hard time passing it up.

Athis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 08:43:48 PM »
Agreed. But it just so happens I found a Polaris 500 HO for 500 bucks at the same time. The fact that the Polaris is water cooled and takes advantage of the existing Odyssey Trans made it just a little more attractive.
This is all new to me....so you can imagine I am a little overwhelmed with so much information, that's why your opinions are so important to me and greatly appreciated.
My brother-in-law was wanting to buy the XRL if I didn't buy it, with intentions of keeping it in the bike and fixing it up for his son......we'll see how this plays out by Sunday.

Fat Bastard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:58:47 PM »
That's a good idea. I'd keep is as a bike also. They're really nice. I also agree on staying with a cvt. You can't cant really beat it in a buggy. Dollar for dollar the 500 sounds nice. I like me a 2 stroke though. ;D sled engines are wild.