Author Topic: My $500 dollar odyssey!!  (Read 7853 times)

explodingraptor

• View Profile
My $500 dollar odyssey!!
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »
WALL OF TEXT: Hey everyone, this is my first post. About 3 or 4 years ago I found an fl-350 on craigslist, and I knew they were hella cool, because my dad told me he had one when he was younger, and that they were really fun machines. So, I ended up with the odyssey in my trailer for $500 bucks, and i bought it not running. :O Apparently it needed a fuel pump and carb work.... Right. After taking it home, i got it in my workshop, and tore it all down. Since i was only like 15 when I bought it, it seemed like such a daunting task and i'd never get it done. So it sat, in the back of the barn, the chassis with only the tranny in it, the rest stayed under a work bench for all those years. I determined the motor needed a top end/bore, so I ordered that, after I got it, it sat for another year maybe. Finally, recently I came across the last big piece I wanted, a comet 102c, I bought it off a guy for $80, and after ordering a couple other parts i knew I needed, I started rebuilding it. I wish i took pictures when i had all the parts under the bench and more of the process of rebuilding it. But ill share what ive got!! Its still not done. I just got all new fuel line/fuel pump/fuel filter in the mail along with a 102c mount bolt and an air filter. As of now i need the bolt that holds the tie rods to the steering shaft/column, and a throttle cable!

explodingraptor

• View Profile
Re: My $500 dollar odyssey!!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:50:14 PM »
here are some more pictures... and sorry they're bad quality. Ill take better ones soon!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »
Congratulations! Your dad is right, not too many things more fun. I know this may sound like a broken record to regular readers of the site, but you should replace the crank seals in the bottom end. They go bad over time. A leak down test is also a good idea to check other areas for air leaks. Learn about carb jetting as it's real important not to run the engine lean. Get that puppy running and have some fun!
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 08:28:16 PM »
If it's holding pressure now, you should be good to go. Once you get used to how it's running, you should be able to notice the change if a seal starts leaking. If you find it always seems to run lean, just check her again.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:34:12 PM »
The seals may hold when the engine is not running, but not when the crank is spinning. I have seen it before.

explodingraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 12:32:16 AM »
I started the engine for the first time today guys! it sounded like it was running okay. tomorrow im going to see if it'll actually move!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »
What a glorious sound! The first start after a rebuild is always such a rush.

explodingraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 09:31:25 PM »
i ran it outside today, at first it sounded like it was running kinda rough, and when i put it in gear, gave it some gas, and it only would go up to like human running speed. no faster. i remembered a while ago when i read on here, that someone had sort of the same problem, and someone mentioned that it could be that electronic reverse governor thing, and the OP said he fixed it by grounding the gray wire coming out of the cdi. so i tried that, hopped in and it opened up, it was fast. this is where it gets weird, after i parked it in my driveway, it was idling in neutral,, and all of a sudden the rpms started climbing, higher and higher. i turned the kill switch on the steering wheel off, nothing happened, kept revving higher, so i scrambled out, ripped the sparkplug wire off, nothing, kept going higher and higher, so i grabbed the ignition coil and unplugged that, and it shut down. at first i thought air leak, or running out of fuel, but still, what are your guys' opinions?

explodingraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 03:58:15 AM »
sorry for the double post, but i should mention that when i started it up after i grounded the cdi wire, it appeared to be running alot better!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 06:43:35 AM »
Air leak.  :( Been there. I pulled the spark plug, not the best way , but it worked. Now I would pull the air filter and cover the air boot. I'm surprised pulling the coil worked. Maybe it ran out of fuel also.

explodingraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:41 PM »
shouldnt an air leak just make it idle a little higher? (run leaner). the rpms like skyrocketed, it was a little scary haha. i thought it seemed like some sort of electrical problem. I was thinking about taking out all the wires and redoing the electrical, can i get away with just the igignition circuit? If im going off the manual

leeleatherwood

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
shouldnt an air leak just make it idle a little higher? (run leaner). the rpms like skyrocketed, it was a little scary haha. i thought it seemed like some sort of electrical problem. I was thinking about taking out all the wires and redoing the electrical, can i get away with just the igignition circuit? If im going off the manual

I am not a subject matter expert on these things (odysseys), but in general you need air to make a gasoline engine rev higher. Ignition timing can slightly alter an engines RPM using the same amount of air, but not enough so as to what you are describing.

I would investigate a possible carb problem or an air leak like mentioned before.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 02:59:24 PM »
2 strokes are tuned very rich at idle. With an air leak, that means it has enough fuel and air to run much higher RPMs. Because it is running lean, it goes even higher. The cylinder temps then get so high that the mix ignites just from the heat. Cutting air flow is the safest way to stop it. Pulling the spark plug could rip the threads out.

explodingraptor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 04:02:40 PM »
it sure does sound like an air leak, but actually i think i have 2 separate problems here. looking through my manual at the electrical systems stuff, i realized there is nothing going the change switch on my buggy, it seems im missing the rubber boot for covering it, and the wires/wiring harness, that plugs into the "change switch coupler". so i think thats why it was running rough.  PROBLEM 2: after i get done with teh electrical problems, how should i go about finding an air leak? without doing a leakdown test and having to pull the engine, preferably. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS!!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »
If it were mine, the air leak would be the first on the list.