Author Topic: Street legal Pilots anyone?  (Read 11075 times)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Street legal Pilots anyone?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 06:17:47 PM »
I was a huge NAY sayer on this topic until I moved to the mountains of NH...I just found an area in which I can get my Pilot (possibly my wheeler) registerd for road use. I may do just that as a project for the winter. Im in an area as rural as the day is long...actually in a National Forest and the dirt roads are long and vast. I have done quite a few off road bike/supermoto conversions and adding a custom setup for signals will be fun to do to a Pilot. With the addition of this setup it will be concievable to use my buggy as a fun way to trail ride to work. Got this idea because at my new job I worked on a Prowler that had a legit NH Agri. plate and a road kit...the owner said its easy to get the registration done.

KTM265

• View Profile
Re: Street legal Pilots anyone?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:46 PM »
One of the biggest factors not addressed by most is Ackermann angle. The inside tire needs to turn sharper than the outside wheel by the correct amount in order for all wheels to be on the correct arc around the pivot point the machine is turning around. A stock Pilot does not turn the inside wheel enough. I changed that by moving the mounting points of the tie rod ends in where they connect to the knuckle.

Exactily...I went more extreme with my modification, I used an entire different front end suspension from a different ATV...Then the issue of the tie-rods hitting the frame was avoided by rebuilding the front end frame, different mounting points...problem fixed...well fixed to the point of using modern suspension on old design...I also added a GPR to the steering shaft...my pilot is one handed driving in the most rutted out trails...For my style of riding/racing... the entire system works well for me. 
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person