Author Topic: Pilot Seat and Harness Replacement  (Read 9668 times)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Pilot Seat and Harness Replacement
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »
Hello, In preparation for the D-Town trip...its time to check and tune my Pilot. Got my mind set on getting a 102c calibrated and installed with Bill's CDI...possibly an Aftershock Heelclicker setup. AND COMFORT...got a great new seat...that is supposed to be a BOLT IN :) I have not chosen or purchased a new harness as of yet and am curious what guys are using.

Wrist straps, collars, cam-lock...lower mounting point for the crotch belt? Who are the best helpful PILOT friendly distributors...because this is race car stuff...not ATV so my normal distributors cant touch this.

ANY suggestions and direction would be helpful...thank you :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Pilot Seat and Harness Replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 07:08:22 PM »
I prefer 3inch belts with shoulder pads....I hate horse collars too....Get a donut that doesn't fasten to your belts...If you can find one,get one with a wedge on the back...You wouldn't think it would make much difference but it does....Not sure what seat you got or what the lower frame consists of,but I anchored my croch belt to my seat frame...I have also fastened one to the stock seat frame as well....There is a cross member on the frame with a bung already welded on it that some use,but you have to cut a notch in the black piece of plastic that is below the glove box....I also don't think the belt is at a good angle when attached to the cross member,but it does work....
Hoodlum

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 09:31:20 PM »
I will post some pics tomorrow...had to cut two tabs from the seat frame already so as not to ruin the floor tub. (may have to grind more AND put the seat on spacers) It looks similar to the beard seat...but its made by race trim? Looks like more of a project than just a bolt in...needs a heat shield/firewall panel for the pipe side and back of the seat...going to have to make a relocater bracket for the gear selector. May end up modding or removing the lobster trap netting that is behind the drivers head...to make room for the highest point in the headrest...good stuff. What brand harness is considered industry standard? I know simpsons are very good...overkill?

telford69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 09:46:30 PM »
check out the belts made by TeamTech i have a set in all four pilots and planning on some for the other two and my fl350 you can order from them or ATV Racing i like them with sternum strap .

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »
I will post some pics tomorrow...had to cut two tabs from the seat frame already so as not to ruin the floor tub. (may have to grind more AND put the seat on spacers) It looks similar to the beard seat...but its made by race trim? Looks like more of a project than just a bolt in...needs a heat shield/firewall panel for the pipe side and back of the seat...going to have to make a relocater bracket for the gear selector. May end up modding or removing the lobster trap netting that is behind the drivers head...to make room for the highest point in the headrest...good stuff. What brand harness is considered industry standard? I know simpsons are very good...overkill?

RJS is good,safety racing is good,Team Tech is awesome but they are way $$$$$$...I use a safety racing harness,and even though it's on the economical side of harnesses,I think my old body would snap before one of those belts ever broke...The main objective of a belt is to keep you in your seat,and a harness doesn't have to cost $300+ to do that....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »
The RJS belts are made of the same material as the Team Tech. They have the pads sewn on as opposed to being and add on item. Teach Tech also has some more elaborate belts, but if buying the basic ones, the name doesn't gain you anything. Team Tech does have a piece of equipment similar to the Hans device.

Add on belt pads:
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_28&products_id=150

Horse collar:
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Safety/Neck-Brace

I have a couple of those Race Trim seats new in the box. I thought they seemed too bulky.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
Steve...that is exactly my same issue. I think this seat is very comfortable...but bulky as a mofo. So much so...Im gonna sit on this project (no pun intended) until I have a better way to make it fit. I dont just want to slam this thing in and ruin the cover...just to have a cushy seat and harness. I have got some cool ideas to make it a nice fit...without losing too much leg room from the bulk of the seat.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 10:31:55 AM »
Kirkey seats fit easy and add leg room. I don't even have the seat touching the bar behind it because that adds too much leg room. My legs would not reach the end of the tub.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 07:48:09 PM »
How tall are you sir? Just curious...

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »
I use a similar set up...3 inch belts, aluminum pan racing seat that wraps around me... When I strap in, I feel like I'm in a NASCAR...
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »
How tall are you sir? Just curious...

I am 5' 11".  With the stock seat in a 350, my knees were near the yoke. I adjusted the new seat to just have a slight bend in my knees so if I wad up the front end, they will continue to bend in the correct direction. I probably added 2" and have another 2" available. The Pilot's adjusting slots have 1/3 more space at the back than the 350, maybe 3/4". So I have a bigger gap behind the seat in my Pilot.

The 10 degree lay back circle track seat adds the most leg room. If you don't like the large wings, they are much smaller on the drag seat. However, the drag seat will not add as much leg room. It would be possible to buy the circle track seat and a drag cover then cut the wings on the circle track seat down so the cover fits. I personally like the wings. I did put a ratchet strap around the seat and tightened the wings into me.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 01:32:17 PM »
Not sure how keen I am with the full RACE seats...Hood and I were talking about one of the A/M seats for the RZR 170 model. Have not really looked at it yet. Can you get comfortable padding for the aluminum winged seats?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »
Off the top of my head, I think the padding attached to the bottom of the cover is 2" thick. The back is thinner and the sides are probably 1/2".

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 08:19:22 PM »
Not sure how keen I am with the full RACE seats...Hood and I were talking about one of the A/M seats for the RZR 170 model. Have not really looked at it yet. Can you get comfortable padding for the aluminum winged seats?

Mine was a used seat, padding was minimal...I trimmed some foam and snapped the cover of it...works really good for me.
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person