Author Topic: UP ride w/RickS 09-08-12  (Read 9397 times)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
UP ride w/RickS 09-08-12
« on: September 16, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »
Not a bad haul, 5 hours from Lansing, Newberry MI. USA. The Upper Peninsula has been pretty dry, so the forcast of rain Friday sounds good to me and Rick. It's off and on rain for our caravan of RickS' truck with rxpo and his 600 Pirauna, wgfawb0 with a pickup and his AR51 on a trailer, and my Traverse and single place trailer with the 600 Pilot.

WE get unloaded,and do a few things to the buggies, and head out from our cabins about 3 or 4 pm Friday. It's pretty wet, but looks real good for Saturday, once the sandy soil soaked most of it up. Out we head to a gas station, and I'm low on fuel, maybe 3/4 of a gallon left. I dump in the 2 1/2 gallons I had strapped on, bought 2 1/2 gallons, mixed that up, then topped off the Pilot's tank, then topped off the strapped on fuel jug. Back we head, retracing our path out. It started raining pretty good, enough to really slick up the trails. Back at camp, we decide no evening ride on Friday. It would put me out of dry clothes on the first day!

After seeing the nighttime lows, I throw an old pair of Carrhardts in the load. They were very handy Friday night around the fire.   The video is from the ride out Saturday after parking our buggies in the restaurant's lot and having breakfast in comfort. Nice. There was some jumping of the buggies in a ditch as we geared up after eating, but I thought it was out of place.

As the leader Rick has to keep an eye back, as well as forward. He'll only go as fast as he is pushed, to keep from getting too far out front. So we were just getting up to full speed when my belt blew. Here's some video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXay3CY_hCA
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: UP ride w/RickS 09-08-12
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
Looks like a cool place!!! Are these snowmobile trails?

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
cool video.  I also watched your silver lake video. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed them and look forward to seeing more.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »
How did I miss these responses?  :-[

It's a lot of fun! Some of the trails are snowmobile that we rode on, but only by accident. There are separate trails for different vehicles, we were on trails allowing full sized cars and trucks.

You know, it's a shame that as on board video has gotten cheap enough to be available to me, is when racing has really wound down, as well my career, I fear. Oh, I'm a poet!

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:31:38 PM »
Anything particular that caused the belt failure...sounded pretty shred-licious :) Racing has definately taken a huge hit in general and is a rich mans thing again I guess.

Got a bad ass place in the mountains now...any of your buggies would be NADS up here during the summer/fall. If you check my you tube I have a vid from millsfield atv. I could almost ride my Pilot from my house to the south entrance to those trails.

Perhaps in the absence of good times...we all could plan a few rides. RZR's Wilcats etc. all over the place up here...jamboree type events...ATV heaven for sure.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
I had an aftermarket boot clamp on the big end of the inner boot that failed and greased down the belt, allowing it to slip and blow.

I'd love to attend group rides,  but we are spread all over the U.S., so long drives would be necessary to do them. :( I'll be doing some traveling, though.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
I prefer the boot clamps that are very thin stainless that wrap around multiple times. Before having the right tool, I could not get them tight, but even the cheap tool is capable of even over tightening them. I bought a fancier tool that even has a built in cuttter to cut off the excess strap. When rebuilding a joint, you can reuse the clamp from the big end on the small end and just put new ones on the big end.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »
Yes...the one with the cutter is really sweet. Does yours have the ratcheting wrench that detatches as well?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
Yes

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
My issue with aftermarket clamps are that with the Arctic Cat driven, the belt rubs on the clamp, and the the non Honda clamps stick out from the boot quite a bit more than the Honda clamps.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:36 PM »
The clamps I am talking about are very low. They are different from the clamps that commonly come in boot kits because without the right tool, you can't install them. The buckle on these usually ends up lower than the ribs on either side of the groove for the clamp in the groove. The common clamps will hit the shock mount on the Formula Cross and rip off.

This is the budget tool for the clamps I am talking about

Clamps: