Author Topic: Rear brake ... big damm problem.... help....  (Read 1569 times)

SniperMan

• View Profile
Rear brake ... big damm problem.... help....
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
i'm still in my restauration project of my FL but it seems that i just hit the wall again.
I bought some brand new rear brake pads a litlle while ago at Aftershocks but when i tried to put them on last weekend i realise that the damm caliper is totaly seased.

And i meen big time. It jammed over the time but the old pads where so used that the piston was hanging out to, so to make a long story short.....

I can't find a new caliper or even a used one, so is there any replacement possible ???? I thought of maybe try to fit one from a TRX 450 they look kind of similar.

Anybody got an idea ???? i'm open for anything at this point... tks in advance.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake ... big damm problem.... help....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 08:49:21 AM »
Just a couple of things....Is the caliper hooked up to the brake line,and if so, do you have the lid off of the fluid resevoir?If not,and the resevoir is full,there is no room for the fluid to displace when mashing in the piston...You could also loosen the bleed screw when pressing in the piston....Also,make sure the bolt that adjusts the parking brake is backed out...If not,it will keep the piston from moving back as well....If it is actually siezed,you may try soaking the whole caliper in pb blaster for a few days and see if it helps break it loose....Even if it breaks it loose,you will probably need to take it apart and clean the piston and the area where the piston rides...A new rebuild kit will be in order too....
Hoodlum

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Rear brake ... big damm problem.... help....
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
If it is off and still seized, I have pressed the piston out by removing the parking brake lever and pressing the piston out with the parking brake pin. Once apart, you have better access to clean the parts.