Author Topic: Fl400r dumping fuel  (Read 2680 times)

reissigree

• View Profile
Fl400r dumping fuel
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
Hey guys, quick question. It's been a year since I ran her and I recently started it up but all it did was pump fuel out of the clear line down there. When I gave it gas, all three lines started flowing. Any idea as to what's going on? Thanks!

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: Fl400r dumping fuel
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
It appears that the carb has some kind of restriction in it. It could also be a float level issue. Pull it apart, remove all screws and jets and blow it out with carb cleaner. Count the number of turns it takes to bottom out the adjustment screws on the outside of the carb before removing them. Real gummed up examples have needed soaking to get to the deposits, but shooting cleaner though all the holes usually does it.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
Oh boy...bad fuel and all the fun it brings. Does your pilot still have a stock fuel tank? If so...drain the tank via the 17mm drain plug and put a funnel in the fuel stream w/a ppg paint strainer fitted into the funnel. Check to see that your tank is not a source of sediment and rust flakes. DRAIN ALL THE GAS and use it in your bonfire. LOL

CARBS AND A GOOD CLEANING ARE NOT FOR NOVICE MECHANICS...If you have done BASIC repairs...DO NOT TRY THIS. If your pilot at this point has a HARD time cranking STOP. The crankcase could very well be full of fuel. TONS of little parts and settings that MUST BE DONE CORRECTLY...or you could continue to have this same problem...or worse. This is NOT something that should be your first attempt at wrenching your own stuff.

I mean dont get me wrong...this isnt splitting engine cases but lots can go wrong and it takes some patience and a good eye for a TINY issue. DOWNLOAD THE MANUAL and study the fuel system section. DONT try to separate the cap from the cable...but the carb will come out rather easily. Bring it to a MC/small engine shop if you have reservations about doing it alone. You removing the carb will save you some cake if you have to pay someone.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 09:36:56 AM »
My guess would be one of two things....The float valve either has a piece of trash or fuel gum in it,stopping it from sealing up when the fuel level reaches it's full level in the carbs float bowl....Other thought is,if it's been setting up for a year with fuel in it,and the fuel has ethanol in it,the rubber sealing portion of the float valve could have become deteriorated,causeing it to become brittle,or even fall apart..Either way,I would definately center my efforts toward that float valve.....
Hoodlum

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »
Had a similar issue... I found the issue to be the float too.  Follow the instructions above and get back to riding...
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »
E10 Ethanol sucks the big one. AND IT IS IN ALL PUMP GAS EVERYWHERE...in all kinds of different percentages!!! Your engine may not need it...but try storing your machine with race gas. Any time you know your gonna let her sit...drain the tank and carb...pour in the pre mixed race gas...run it till it smells good...shut er down. Taking E10 out of your tank and carb will prevent these issues.

IT WILL NOT FIX A LEAKY CARB OR RUSTY TANK...you must first correct any and all fuel system problems. Nay sayers will tell you all kinds of tales about race gas. "its gonna ruin your engine"..."your gonna blow it up"..."it will eat your carb and tank"...MOSTLY FALSE.

Race gas will cost more yes...but it wont eat anything you own ever. WITH THE EXCEPTION of VP U4 and U4 Plus. (you wont want that stuff at almost $150-175 for a five gallon pail) A good C12 or Sunoco Standard or Supreme (leaded RACE fuel) will be just fine. Dont even think twice about topping your tank off with your favorite pump gas...and going on a ride...when you are done storing it. Mixing Race/Pump-Leaded/Unleaded is NOT an issue...

Some parts of the country now you can buy ethanol free...and its basically the same gig. Whenever you store something DONT trust any of the ethanol treatments on the market...get E10 out of your fuel completely and these issues will stop.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 08:30:36 AM by Factory 45 »