Author Topic: can't keep FL250 running  (Read 6433 times)

sharp62

• View Profile
can't keep FL250 running
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
I have a 1984 FL250 that I have restored. I am having a problem with it dying after it runs about 10 minutes. If I let it set for a while it will start again and run for about 5 minutes and it starts hesitating when you give it gas and it will die. each time I let it set it will start back. I have replaced the check valve and fuel pump and cleaned the carb. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: can't keep FL250 running
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:18:10 PM »
Clogged gas cap vent. Pulls a vacuum then dies. Let it sit and enough air makes it in to start again. If the next time it dies, you remove the gas cap and reinstall then it starts right up, that would prove it.

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:20:34 PM »
I had a problem with one of mine once. it had a substandard vacuum hose from the carb to the case and when it was cold it would work fine and when the motor heated up the hose would get plyable colapse and starve the carb of fuel, it would cool down get ridged and start another frustrating cycle

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
sorry from the fuel pump to the case

sharp62

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the advice I will give them a try.

sharp62

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
I tried both of these solutions but neither one worked. I was wondering is there a possibility that my float level could be off. When it is starting to bog down after riding a few minutes if I pump the throttle it acts like it wants to run but then dies.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 02:57:24 PM »
It sounds like you are running out of fuel. Both girth and my prior suggestions would give the same symptoms. I'm not sure how the float level would make it behave that way, but it is worth checking where the level is at. I would also test the output of your fuel pump per the manual. Maybe the pump volume is low and it runs out of gas in the float bowl when you are running fast. I would think letting it go back to idle in that case might keep it running though. If the pump volume is low, at least you would then have something to fix and maybe solve the problem.

If fuel volume is low, I think this kit fits the 250 too: http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Fuel-and-Air/Fuel-Pump-Rebuild-Kit or you can replace the whole pump: http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL250-Odyssey/Fuel-and-Air/Mikuni-Fuel-Pump

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 01:06:51 AM »
How about spark after it dies, could it be  its an electrical issue with things coming unpluged after they heat up. another thought is have you checked the compression maybe the rings arent seating after it heats up.

Austinscustoms575

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
Hey what was the problem finally one of my rigs is doing the same thing?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 12:12:08 PM by Austinscustoms575 »