Author Topic: FL250 fuel issues. Please help  (Read 6566 times)

tjetalexis

• View Profile
FL250 fuel issues. Please help
« on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »
Recently got a 1982 FL250 for my sone to rip on. The previous owner used a gravity fed system because he said he didn't like fuel pumps. Everything was still there and I want to go back to using the original setup, problem is, no gas is getting to the carb. The hose is hooked up to the cylinder, and all the other hoses seem good. I changed the filter thinking it was that but it did not work. If I hook it back up to gravity feed it will run and I can see fuel coming to of the check valve nipple where I removed the hose to hook up to the gravity tank. Not alot, but there is some coming out. I quickly try to hook the hose back up the the check valve, it will run for 20 seconds and then die. I can see in the hose there is no gas getting to the carb then. Could this be a fuel pump problem?

If anyone can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Jay

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FL250 fuel issues. Please help
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
I assume you are hooking back up to the stock tank? It could be a number of things...Tank rust clogging up the petcock or intake tubes inside the tank,or it could very well be the pump....Have you tried pulling fuel from the tank through the petcock with a vaccum pump or CAREFULLY with your mouth useing a piece of long clear hose to see if something is clogged up?
Hoodlum

tjetalexis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:46:39 PM »
Thanks for the reply. The gas flows freely out of the tank. Just before you replied, I went and bought a used fuel pump(no new ones available unless I ordered). Started up good. It wouldn't idle. Took it down the trail and it ran good for about 30 seconds then died. It started to bog and wouldn't respond to the throttle before it died. Got off choked it and limped it back to the garage. Any thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Jay

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »
Does it have a fuel filter by chance?

tjetalexis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:58:56 AM »
It does have a fuel filter, put a brand new one on. Just noticed there is a bunch of black soot on the back of the motor where the exhaust attaches. Upon further inspection I noticed it was supposed to have 4 bolts holding it on and one was missing. Tried to take the bolts out and they were in there so good I stripped them. Ended up grinding them down. I will work on getting it off tomorrow.

Do you know, is there a gasket that goes in between then metal plate the exhaust attaches to and the motor?

With the plate still attached to the motor with the 4 bolts, i was still able to pull the exhaust off. Is tha normal?mthanks for reading.

Jay

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Yes and yes...There is a gasket,and the exhaust will come off without removing the flange....

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »
there also should be a fiber ring dougnut gasket as well as a metal compresion ring.