Author Topic: No spark sometimes  (Read 12450 times)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: No spark sometimes
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
SWEEEEEEEET Man...must have just gotten knocked over some from the runout on your crank when the other engine had problems. Great to hear you are on the way...tell us if she fires for you :)

Gene

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 03:25:53 AM »
I had her kicking with some gas down the spark plug hole, but it wouldn't stay running.  Thought my fuel pump was gone but it turned out I cracked the nipple off the fuel filter while reinstalling the gas tank.  I will take her out for a spin on Thursday when I get a day off work.

For informational purposes I heard back from the email I sent to Ricks Motorsport Electrics.  They said If I sent them my stator assembly they would try to find a trigger to make it work and just replace that part if that was all I needed. 

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
I know Rick personally...and can bring him a trigger to try and match if you want. He has become my GO-TO electro guru in tough diag jobs. I have a 350 engine on the bench that i could bring to him and show him...to save you the down time...and the two way shipping...let me know.

Gene

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 11:40:21 PM »
Thanks Factory 45 but I think I'm good now.  I took her out for a short ride today and she is running good.  It was also a test of the new 102C comet clutch I found on Craigslist.  It looked new but it was sitting on a shelf in someones barn and the box looks about 100 years old.  It had me going fast enough to make my eyes water and the engine didn't even seem to be running hard.
The Honda pulse generator must be a pretty sturdy part to still work after being beat up and filed down, but I guess it's just a coil around a magnet and as long as it's not shorted.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 08:25:07 AM »
VERY VERY Cool. If you loose it again...you know where to go.

If you could actually graph the signal on an ocilliscope you would see a very specific AC wave (analog) So long as the windings are 100% on the electromagnet (trigger) and the trigger air gap is close enough to spec...you will create the correct AC wave to induce CDI activity. The trigger case and mounting could be ghetto ass looking duct taped or superglued...you are right...as long as it makes consistant signal...it will work.

You had to modify the left side air fins on the cylinder to fit the 102?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:33:08 AM by Factory 45 »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 09:53:06 AM »
Factory 45, I have seen you mention shaving the fins before. I have never had to do that. Maybe it was a non-standard clutch?

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
My memory serves me that a standard 102c clutch is alot larger than the salisbury or a duster...does it slip on without interference? I think I remember guys having to trim the fins...or at least I have read such. Never really tried one on an Ody...got one for the pilot. Just curious I guess...

Gene

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:46 AM »
Comet 102c installed with no interference at all.  My odyssey originally had a 102c on it.  When I bought the second engine it came with a stock Salisbury clutch on it and I was days from leaving for a trip to Silver Lake so I didn't change it out but after I was at the dunes I wished I had.  It took my son Brad three tries to make it up test hill when the year before with the 102C it blasted up with no problem. 
Silver Lake Dunes were hard on the Odyssey.  The first year it worked great until we fried a piston due to a crack in the stock intake manifold. Unfortunately we didn't find the crack until we burned up a new top end. A new manifold from Aftershock solved that problem. The next year with the  Salisbury clutch after Brad made it over test hill and the next two then he lost a driveshaft.  We left it home last year and this year it wasn't running after the clutch blew up.  It has spent most of its running time on the Huron National Forest trails around here where the biggest problem has been fouled spark plugs.
The original 102c clutch has the faces dished out about 1/8" as near as I could tell, probably due to the sandy conditions around here.  That seem to make the secondary clutch kick in later but more abruptly.  With the new primary clutch it feel seamless.  The new clutch is number 213999A which is made specifically for the FL350.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 06:55:22 AM »
Awesome...thanks for straightening me out. 208306A is the pilot #. I have another 102 I got from ebay...thinking it would fit my pilot...tried it for a test fit on the Ody too. It fits NEITHER...this is why I assumed fins needed to be trimmed. My Bad...but glad your buggy is running again Gene. Bring it to D-town :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »
When Comet went under, I picked up a couple odd ball clutches. I was able to get a hold of a couple 0 offset stems and swapped those out to put together a couple FL350R clutches. If the clutch you have is new, but does not fit the FL350, the stem is much cheaper than an entire clutch.

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 09:25:15 AM »
I could tell you the story of the 102c I got from Ebay...but it was both WRONG and very OLD. Im not planning on using anything but some of the parts from that clutch. It was listed as a JD/Kawasaki clutch by the seller. That would have made it a 208306A but the guy either didnt list it correctly or someone put a JD cover on it. Won it for 50 bucks so it wasnt a huge loss.