Author Topic: 38MM MIKUNI TM CARB FOR THE FL350R  (Read 3195 times)

holanpd

• View Profile
38MM MIKUNI TM CARB FOR THE FL350R
« on: May 10, 2012, 06:20:59 AM »
Ok so i put a new mikuni tm38mm-86 carb on yesterday and it isn't runing right now. at idle if i give it gas it fouls out the plug i think and wants to die, is it to rich ?

Has anyone put this carb on there odyssey before ?

I have the 38mm-86 mikuni smoothbore bore carb with a gravity feed fuel system.

And when i turn the choke on im able to give it gas at idle without it dying.
I thought i had it adjust right so i went to ride it, put it in gear gave it some gas and didn't make it out of the drive way, the plug fouled i guess bc it acted like the clutch kicked out stoped going and died. started it back up and was idling fine. with it not in gear i was giving it gas and to me it was very response and crisp, put it in drive and does the same thing.

i had the tm 36mm carb on it and it didn't do this so its a new problem i guess.

Ive put ALOT of money into this thing and its starting to wear me thin.

it has the following:

new piston
new sleeve
dg pipe
torque spacer
78 -79 cr250r intake
tm 38mm-86 carb
gravity feed fuel tank with shut off valve
new throtle cable
k&n filter kit

can anyone help please

thanks  Paul
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:57:37 AM by holanpd »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 38MM MIKUNI TM CARB FOR THE FL350R
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 07:34:36 AM »
When a plug fouls,it will not start back up until you change the plug....When it dies,have you removed the plug and looked at it to see if it is wet/dry? I see you are useing gravity feed instead of a fuel pump...Some carbs require a different needle valve for gravity feed applications....
Hoodlum
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:36:57 AM by hoodlum »

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 08:03:31 AM »
Is the a fuel pump that I can put on it that works with the gravity feed system ?

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »
Can i change the needle valve and if i can what do i change it to ?

please help

thanks Paul

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
The problem with advice is most people use the Keihin PWK carb. If it runs better with the choke on, that indicates lean to me. Possibly it is lean on the needle so when you give it throttle, it goes lean and dies. You say you think it fouls the plug. Did you pull the plug and see if it was fouled?

If it is a bike carb, it is set up for gravity feed. It is not so much gravity feed itself that is usually the problem. You won't see the problems with that tank until you start riding it. A bike tank has a low spot where the valve is. When your fuel gets low on that spun aluminum tank, it will slosh back and forth across the hole the fuel goes out of. Some other notes about those tanks, the hole in the tank is often very small compared to the fuel line. You may need to drill out the hole. They don't clean the inside of those tanks so you you don't want to just throw fuel in it and go. They often have aluminum shavings from when they drill the hole. If you didn't run a filter, those shavings will clog the inlet and cause erratic jetting.