Author Topic: Rim swaps  (Read 7885 times)

KTM265

• View Profile
Rim swaps
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:34:29 AM »
Does anyone know what, if any, other ATVs share the same rim/bolt pattern as the FL400R? 
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Rim swaps
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »
Rear, some years of 80s Suzuki sport quads.
Front, some year TRX250X, but less offset.

Here is a wheel you might find interesting:

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:02 PM »
I like the ITP Baja rims... re-enforced ring, hands down one of the best rims for the money...
You only need two tools in life -- WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

Hoser [həʊzə] n 1. US slang a person who swindles or deceives others 2. Canadian slang an unsophisticated, esp rural, person

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:08:48 AM »
T9 Baja...good stuff for sure. Not sure where you are riding...but up in NH (they dont call it the granite state for nothin) the un-groomed areas to ride will make quick work of any METAL wheels. I had a T9 with the reinforcing ring get wrecked on the first frickin ride...on my 450R. Since then I got into Hipers...more money but THE ONLY WHEEL WITH A WARRANTY on the market. They say 1 year but I can tell you that once you establish a relationship with the company they will push that limit slightly. Weed has sold em in the past (and he got a lil bent when he found out i got my 4x130 rears DIRECT from Hiper) But I had a relationship with them for years before I even heard of Weed selling them.

I looked around quite a bit to see who still makes a 4x110 FRONT and have found some but very few. Older Honda 250X and some newer Honda Foreman have that pattern for front...I have always thought a 4x144 conversion was the best way to get a better wheel choice.

Hey Livewire...what the heck is that wheel? I can see a disc looking hub behind it...and that looks like a douglas bead ring but where did you dig that thing up? Yours?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:43:15 AM by Factory 45 »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
I made the mounting plate out of 3/8" 7075 aluminum. I then bolted a 5" wheel half to the back. The beadlock ring bolts go inside the tire in little sealed tubes. The valve is a tank valve countersunk as deep as I could and still get an air chuck on it. The weakest part is the Douglas half. I could make it use a Hiper back half as well.

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:07 PM »
My front end is not problem... KFX700 front hubs... 8)  I already have 2 complete sets T9 Baja...The rear is stock, so I need to find the T9 Baja that will work on the stock Pilot hubs.  Where I ride is mostly rock, tree roots, sand and a mud that stains like no other...we have it all in Iowa.  The T9 Bajas have worked flawlessly for me...

Hyper's are good, one of the best however I have a personal reason/issue with a person who works there...It's nothing against the company or its owners...etc...

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:34 AM »
You will not find ITP T9 Bajas on 4x110 FRONT for anything unfortunately. If you do...post it lol. The wheels I have found are Douglas Blue, Douglas Red, ITP Steel (with MEGA offset) and a few that are for Foreman...but they are a much larger 12" wheel. That 4x110 FRONT is VERY uncommon but is popular rear pattern for alot of years/models/manufacturers. Hence the custom stuff that is around. Here is mine...

Have caught a bunch of constructive criticism since I made the hubs for this mod...it was a bright idea that could have been done differently. Cost was excessive to make stuff I was comfortable with trying out...and would never make another set. Next time would hang a set of disc spindles (kinda like KTM did) with a 4x144 pattern...offset becomes more managable with a different spindle and hub.

Looked ito this some yesterday to ensure complete info...it seems alot of Brute Force wheels are 4x110 F+R and some Can Ams too. BUT...OFFSET ?!?! Seems like these larger 4X4 wheels are WORSE in that dept than the flimsy aluminum sport wheels.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:55:17 AM by Factory 45 »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
You will not find ITP T9 Bajas on 4x110 FRONT for anything unfortunately. If you do...post it lol. The wheels I have found are Douglas Blue, Douglas Red, ITP Steel (with MEGA offset) and a few that are for Foreman...but they are a much larger 12" wheel. That 4x110 FRONT is VERY uncommon but is popular rear pattern for alot of years/models/manufacturers. Hence the custom stuff that is around. Here is mine...

Have caught a bunch of constructive criticism since I made the hubs for this mod...it was a bright idea that could have been done differently. Cost was excessive to make stuff I was comfortable with trying out...and would never make another set. Next time would hang a set of disc spindles (kinda like KTM did) with a 4x144 pattern...offset becomes more managable with a different spindle and hub.

Looked ito this some yesterday to ensure complete info...it seems alot of Brute Force wheels are 4x110 F+R and some Can Ams too. BUT...OFFSET ?!?! Seems like these larger 4X4 wheels are WORSE in that dept than the flimsy aluminum sport wheels.

The fronts I'm good with, my entire front end is using KFX700 parts...swingarms, hubs and T9 Baja...it's the rear wheels I need to see what crosses over...

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 09:24:42 AM »
80's Suz Quadsport and Quadracer (some early 250's only cuz the Quadzilla and newer 250's were a 5 bolt rear hub) The machine shown in your pic is a set of 4x110 rear hubs on that ody...which is much easier to do on that one than on a pilot.

ITP has a dual bolt pattern steel rear 9" wheel 4x110 and 4x130. With a PILOT the rear wheel size will be an issue as will the offset. Rim and tire ride close to the rear knuckles and lower suspension arms.

KTM265

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:31:14 PM »
Cool... that is what I'm looking for.  What is the stock off-set?