Author Topic: FL350R IDLE PROBLEMS  (Read 6544 times)

holanpd

• View Profile
FL350R IDLE PROBLEMS
« on: March 25, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
i have an fl350r, i've done alot of work to this thing..

replaced the cylinder and sleeve
new torque spacer
cr250 intake
36mm mikuni flate side carb
k&n filter kit
new aluminum spun tank gravity feed  tank
new throttle cable

and now it idles good but at 3/4 throttle i let go of the throttle and its doesn't idle down ?

what could cause this ?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: FL350R IDLE PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
If you mean it lingers for a while at high RPMs before eventually settling down, that indicates lean on slow/pilot jet.

K&N filters flow too much dirt. I hope it is at least still in the air box. Does the spun aluminum tank protrude out of the roll cage where it can get hit if you roll?

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:19:05 AM »
the k&n intake has a cover that goes completely over the filter that keeps dirt out of it. I bought the odyssey out of state and it wasn't runing when i got it, so in about 4 months of work on it i finally started it this last weekend. It would idle fine but if i gave it alot of gas it wouldn't idle down but if i gave it gas it would rev. up fine but then it wouldn't idle down and i would turn it of because the idle is high and sounds like its palsing . i can turn it of and the start it back up then it would be fine til i gave it alot of gas then it starts with the idling problem again..

could it have an air leak somewhere ?

whats crazy is it runs good until the high throttle problem

And the tank doesn't protrude out.

what do i do to fix the lean condition on the slow jet ? it has a brand new mikuni 36mm flateslide smoothbore carb.

please help.

thanks Paul

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:14:10 AM »
It could very well have an air leak......Better pressure test it....Replaceing the pilot jet is as simple as removing the carb bowl,unscrewing the current jet and putting in a larger one....

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:05:12 AM »
Also try pulling on the choke when hitting and letting off quickly  from idol and see if it helps or nothing changes. The choke rich-ens up the idol circuit. If you do feel you have an air leak and I personal would check this first then move to the jet. A richer jet will only temp fix it and not a proper cure. It's always good to know if it hold air before and after a rebuild.  Hope its just lean on jetting also be sure to set you air crew properly as this will also facilitate this issue. New engien builds get kinda expensive, air testing is cheap. Let us know what you find or if you have any other question.

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO PRESSURE TEST IT ?

IT HAS A MIKUNI 36MM CARB SO, DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO BUY JETS FOR IT ? IT THINK THE MAIN JET IS 250 ? DOES ANYONE KNOW ?

THANKS PAUL

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »
WHERE IS THE AIR SCREW ON A MIKUNI 36MM SMOOTHBORE CARB ?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 10:47:40 AM »
Here is a tool for testing for air leaks. The stepped plug for the intake will work in both a stock intake and oversize ones.
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Tools/Air-Leak-Tester

As Adnoh said, you should check for air leaks first. An FL350R with the original cranks seals is practically guaranteed to leak. They will be dried out and hard. Air leaks are not consistent so changing jets to compensate is a meltdown waiting to happen.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »
Heres a pic of a TMX carb for an example. Your looking for a little screw on the side of the carb by where the intake boot from the filter attaches.

Generaly speaking:

The two stroke carb has an air crew with a fixed fuel jet the the air srew in on the back side of the slide (Throttle valve).
The four stroke carb has an fuel screw with fixed air jet and the fuel screw is on the front side of the slide (Throttle valve).

holanpd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »
THAKYOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP, I FOUND AND AIR LEAK AND IT WAS AN EASY FIX.. BUT HOW DO I SET THE AIR SCREW ?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:22:53 AM »
Screw it all the way in CAREFULLY......When you feel it bottom out,stop.....Don't tighten it....Back it out 1 turn...This is a good starting point.....I like to run mine a little rich so that it will stutter a little whem moping around at about 1/4 throttle...It's safer that way...Running the screw in makes it richer,and moving it out makes it leaner....
Hoodlum

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 10:54:48 AM »
You don't need to make it so rich as to stutter idle to 1/4. The normal setting is already richer than normal for WOT. Before you get to a point of being unsafe for the engine from being lean, it won't idle down quickly. So I adjust to be crisp off the line, but idle down properly.