Author Topic: Carb overflow issues  (Read 10870 times)

familyguy

• View Profile
Carb overflow issues
« on: January 08, 2012, 04:42:15 PM »
My fl250 has recently started to run gas out of the overflow on the carb. I took it off and cleaned everything, checked the floats and float pin and seat. Tried adjusting the float level. Couldn't find a problem so I bought a new Mikuni carb (the same one as was on it to be safe). It still overflows. Could the fuel pump have suddenly increased in pressure? I think it's the original fuel pump. My only thought is too much pressure for the float system. I'm considering ordering an in-line fuel pressure regulator. Any ideas?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Carb overflow issues
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 05:16:53 PM »
Does the 250 have a tee in the fuel line to return excess fuel to the tank? If it does,it could be stopped up causeing over pressure....Just guessing...Not very familiar with the 250's....
Hoodlum

familyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 05:32:01 PM »
no return line to the tank. The fuel pump has a connection to the engine that I think creates pressure to run the fuel pump. The pump has an inlet from the tank and an out to the carb. Thanks for the reply

whammo77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
Once the fuel line leaves the fuel pump headed over to the carburator, you should have a tee (which is actually a check valve) which allows excess fuel to be pumped back to the tank. If this is not installed, then I would guess that is your problem.....

familyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:45:30 PM »
I had no idea, I have never seen another one of these up close. I bought it for my daughter two years ago. This Odyssey has not had a fuel return all along. There is no T back to the fuel tank but it has never leaked fuel before this. That puzzles me...
How would I go about connecting a T back to the tank? Is it as simple as it sounds?
Do you have any pictures?
What do you think about my idea of controlling the fuel pressure with an in-line pressure regulator?

I really appreciate your input

whammo77

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »
This is one of those things that can work ok for a while, and then for no apparent reason start having problems. It is a simple fix, about as simple as it gets really. Call your local Honda dealer and order the fuel check valve (around $20 if I remember correctly). Once it comes in you will need to buy about 2 ft of fuel hose (I recommend the clear fuel hose, but it's up to you) and some extra fuel line clamps. Between now and the time you receive the valve (prolly 3 days to a week) I am sure we can upload a pic of one installed so you can see how to do it. I would go back with the original check valve rather than engineer something since it's such a cheap and easy fix.  ;)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 10:13:34 AM »
Honda calls it a check tee. I think that might be a translation thing. It really is a pressure regulator. The excess pressure overcomes the spring pressure and unseats the ball allowing the excess fuel to go back to the tank. I have heard the replacements are missing the spring, some sort of manufacturing issue. Although I have never verified that myself. What I do is use a regular 1/4" tee like this one: http://aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Fuel-and-Air/Fuel-Line-Tee that can be bought at any auto parts store. I then run the return line up high in the cage and back down to the tank. This simulates gravity feed from the highest point of the return line.

whammo77

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 08:58:52 PM »
Honda did accidentally have a few that were not to spec several several years ago, and it was just one of those unfortunate things that happen in the manufacturing process. Probably a disgruntled worker or something. However, I have bought several over the past few years with no problem. Several people (Ebay guys INTENT on raping you for every dime they can) have been keeping this myth alive. That way they can sell used ones (or so-called used ones) for $45 vs  $20 for a new one from Honda because they are so "RARE". They are scam artists, that's all....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
I guess it is interesting I could get the originals. The setup I run works and costs less though than $20.

whammo77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
I don't doubt that a setup could be made for less than the original factory cost. And for more experienced 'home mechanics' I would suggest you post what you have done. My biggest deliberation in such a situation is not knowing a person's mechanical ability. I get especially concerned when I know it is their children (daughters, like mine no doubt) who are riding the machines. For that reason, I always opt for stock rather than modifications. In the wrong hands, modifications could lead to serious injuries or even worse. In the right hands, such as yours, they usually work marvelously. I just don't want children used as 'guinea pigs'.... ya know....  If an adult wants to experiment and put themselves up for trial and error, that is their choice and I totally respect that. I just prefer to go with caution when it is a kid that will be riding the machine... I am sure we can both agree on that  ;)  Safety first for the children.

Honestly speaking, I would love to see what type of setup you are using. I always like learning something new. Thanks man!

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:26:48 AM »
It isn't that I do it this way because it is cheaper, it is because the valves were bad when I started doing it. The info came from Randy who also still does not sell the OEM part. He doesn't sell used ones for high money. He is likely still not selling the OEM one for the same reason as me which is we started doing things a different way and saw no reason to go back. Randy has people use a regular tee and put a main jet in the return line to slow the flow. I don't agree with that setup because it is metering the fuel back to the tank and what is left goes to the carb. It should be the other way around.

I do sometimes assume people have a higher level of mechanical ability because I feel you really should be decent mechanically to own a 25+ year old machine. Most of the people I make this suggestion to are those putting a larger carb on. In that case, they should have the ability to tune it in and they should not be letting a young child drive the machine.

whammo77

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 08:31:50 PM »
That's cool. Good info to know too. Thanks!

Unfortunately there ARE those on EBAY trying to rape people for used or "supposedly" used check valves. They state in no uncertain terms that ALL of the new Honda check valves are faulty and that the used ones are "RARE". I just wanted to post that info so that hopefully other people will find it and not get raped by the folks on EBAY.....

As for people's mechanical ability, I would tend to agree with you. However, you know how it goes... some people THINK they are much more mechanically inclined than what they actually are...  ;)

familyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 01:37:25 PM »
Hey guys - You gotta love a healthy debate. Your concern and input are much appreciated. I am learning as I go and am fairly mechanical. I tend to move cautiously in all things in things I don't know well. This is one of them. I'm waiting on a check value I ordered ($16.63 plus tax) and will get back to you on that. My daughter won't drive the cart until I feel it's tested and safe. Which I guess means I get to have some fun in it.
I still am puzzled over the sudden change in fuel pressure. I talked to the guy I bought it from who is also the mechanic for all my off road toys and he said to just set it up for gravity feed. I figure I'll try the check value and see. However I may need to buy a new tank because there is no return port on the tank. Maybe why there was no check valve.
I think for a better understanding I will post a picture of the fuel and lines and see what ideas come.
Thank again for the good advice

familyguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »
Fuel tank and fuel lines jpg attached. You can see the top mounted fuel lines to the fuel pump then directly to the carb. Gravity feed is not possible with this tank setup. A pump has to pull the gas out from the top. There is a fuel line  off of the tank but I think the closed loop would build pressure so I would be back to square one.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
You can add a return easy enough in the plastic tank....Drill a hole,add a nipple,and jb weld it in the hole.....