Author Topic: Aftershock long travel install  (Read 14577 times)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Aftershock long travel install
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »
I recently bought another pilot,and decided to add a long travel front suspension....I already have 1 pilot with the aftershock kit installed,and decided to do the same to this one considering how much better it rides and handles......Tonight,I disassembled the front of the pilot and welded on the tabs for the drag links....I also got the a-arms painted as well as bushings and ball joints installed,but I forgot to get a pic of them....I also had several spots where the paint had flaked off of the welds,and some surface rust was starting,so I sanded and touched up these spots as well....
I will re=post with more progress later....

Also got one of my seat and new harness....This has to be one of the few like new seats left....It's a 350 seat,but the guy that owned the pilot bought it from honda around 5 or 6 years ago,and rode very little after installing it.....

Hoodlum

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Aftershock long travel install
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:39:18 PM »
::) ::) ::)

Are you sure about the seat - I seem to recall that the FL350 seat had
two holes in it for side lap belts to pass thru - that looks like a FL400 Seat to me

8) 8) 8)

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 06:21:19 PM »
You may be right Dennis....I was going by the fact that the pilot seat had the foam somewhat sculpted in the bottom and this one is just flat like the 350....Could be a hybrid!!!!!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
Got some more done tonight...Everything is pretty much installed and adjusted,other than a few minor things like strapping down the brake lines and putting the springs back on the shocks....
I discovered something very interesting tonight.....When I installed my first kit,I couldn't figure out why the balljoints on the left side had to be run out farther than the ones on the right,and I never was able to get the bumpsteer on both wheels to act exactly the same through the suspension cycle....I counted it off to asomething being bent or a flaw in the a-arms,etc....Well,guess what......This one was the same way.....After about a half hour of measureing,I discovered the steering column is 1/4" offset to the left of the machine.....I looked at my other pilot,and sure enough...It's the same way....After adjusting to compensate for the difference,here are my bumpsteer measurements....These should actually be cut in half due to the fact they were taken from the front and rear of the front wheels.....From the front of the wheel to the center of the hub should only be half.....
I set the tow to 0 at an estimated ride height,and then went to full compression and started from there........
Full compression=0
2" up=0
4" up=0
6" up=tow in 1/16"
8" up=tow in 1/16"
10" up=0
12" up=tow out 1/4"
The last inch before full droop produced the 1/4" tow out,which is actually only 1/8".....I tried several different things,and couldn't seem to adjust that out....I may be able to get it out by adjusting the balljoints out another turn or 2,but at this stage,that's a bunch of work for no more change than that,and considering it will only happen when the wheels are in the air,it's just not worth it......
Here's a few pics!!!!!!
I cant get photobucket to work!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:32:21 AM by hoodlum »

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
It is intentional that the most toe change is at full droop. When you land, there is little pressure on the tires during that first 1" of compression. It is interesting on the 1/4" offset in the column, I knew about a few things being off, but not that. The steering flag is often not centered when the yoke is straight too. Another thing you could measure is turning the wheel full lock and drawing chalk lines on the floor at 90 degrees to each front wheel in the center and straight through the centers of both rear wheels. The closer all three lines come to intersecting at the same point, the closer to perfect Ackermann angle. If the inside tire's hits the rear line closer to the machine than the outside tire's line, it has more toe-out on turn than perfect Ackermann. If the front lines cross before hitting the rear line, it has less toe out on turn than perfect Ackermann. Where some say it is not needed off road due to limited traction, I say you want it close to get all the turning traction you can. It does not need to be perfect because there is so more sidewall flex in the tires, the tread will roll on a different line than the wheel is facing. Toe out on turn can be adjusted by shortening or lengthening the large heims.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 06:23:12 PM »

It's working now!!!!!
Excuse my messy shop....Building cabinets in the other end,so I am limited to one small corner.....
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:25:21 PM by hoodlum »

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
looks like some one is having fun, looks good. I have a pic or two to share to the ackerman thing.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »
I enjoy the install and adjusting process...Once I get started,I could work on it all night if I didn't make myself stop....I have learned so much about what adjustments does what to bumpsteer during the suspension cycle...... My first one took probably 3 times as long as my second....

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »
Steve,here are the pics you wanted

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:58:09 AM »
Are the pics showing up? using jpegs

(Hoodlum)"Well,guess what......This one was the same way.....After about a half hour of measureing,I discovered the steering column is 1/4" offset to the left of the machine.....I looked at my other pilot,and sure enough...It's the same way...."

(Live wire)"It is interesting on the 1/4" offset in the column, I knew about a few things being off, but not that"

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:04:12 AM by Adnoh »

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 05:51:32 PM »
I don't see any pics......

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
I see the pictures. I logged out and looked again to make sure it was not a security setting. I could see them while logged out as well. I'm not sure why you would not be able to see them.

Can you see this:

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:17 PM »
I see the pictures. I logged out and looked again to make sure it was not a security setting. I could see them while logged out as well. I'm not sure why you would not be able to see them.

Can you see this:

Steve,I can't see the one you posted....Just a box with an x in it....I right click and select show picture,but nothing happens....

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:38:09 PM »

I see all pictures Just fine on my mac...
Just checked on the PC and they are all there also

(Even Randy's reply has the pict in it...)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
If it was a board permission issue, you should be able to see them now. If you still can't, I would think it is something at your end.