Author Topic: What breaks commonly?  (Read 2347 times)

phlorit

• View Profile
What breaks commonly?
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
Wondering what commonly breaks and I should either upgrade or be ready to replace?  Using the Pilot in the Sand Dunes mainly.  I believe there are issues with the front steering areas, but not sure.

Also, can anyone recommend a good set of paddles (Scats, I would bet but not sure about the size?)

Thanks in advance! 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: What breaks commonly?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »
The most likely thing to break is something that is worn out from the age of the machine. I would just go around the machine and look for things that do not look to be in perfect condition. Post pictures here of anything suspicious. You may need to jack it up to check for play in certain parts like the rear wheel bearings. While the bearings are not really prone to go bad, you can tear up unavailable parts if they do. They are worth replacing early. I would spray the inner CV joints where they meat the trans with PBlaster every time you work on the machine so that if/when you need to pull them out, you might be able to. A spare belt is good. You can check the condition of the front brake shoes by pulling rubber plugs on the drums. Check for tears in the CV boots. Other than that, you'll break whatever you didn't bring ;)

Skat Trak Edge 22x11x10 work good. ITP Sand Stars in the same size work nearly as well and are far less expensive. The difference would likely be bigger in fine Glamis sand as opposed to heavier sand like Pismo, Little Sahara OK, Silver Lake MI.

phlorit

• View Profile
Re: What breaks commonly?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:12 PM »
The most likely thing to break is something that is worn out from the age of the machine. I would just go around the machine and look for things that do not look to be in perfect condition. Post pictures here of anything suspicious. You may need to jack it up to check for play in certain parts like the rear wheel bearings. While the bearings are not really prone to go bad, you can tear up unavailable parts if they do. They are worth replacing early. I would spray the inner CV joints where they meat the trans with PBlaster every time you work on the machine so that if/when you need to pull them out, you might be able to. A spare belt is good. You can check the condition of the front brake shoes by pulling rubber plugs on the drums. Check for tears in the CV boots. Other than that, you'll break whatever you didn't bring ;)

Skat Trak Edge 22x11x10 work good. ITP Sand Stars in the same size work nearly as well and are far less expensive. The difference would likely be bigger in fine Glamis sand as opposed to heavier sand like Pismo, Little Sahara OK, Silver Lake MI.

Thanks for the advice.  Very helpful.