Author Topic: Intake boot on evilbay  (Read 4380 times)

mattwo

• View Profile
Intake boot on evilbay
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:36:56 PM »
Hi there!

Searching for a new intake boot for my FL350 I found this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-FL350-ODYSSEY-ATV-CUSTOM-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-/180692602233?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a121e4d79

I'm running on a mikuni and everything was fine with the stock intake boot dimensions.

It looks almo$t ok (except for the red colour added... and the price!), anyone already bought it? Tell me if i'm wrong: stock one was a really-long-lasting-heavy-duty one... I don't wanna buy crap!

tx for telling what do you think about it!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
intake
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 10:19:41 PM »
Before I would spend that kind of money on a stock intake,I would consider this....
http://aftershockmotorsports.com/Honda-FL350R-Odyssey/Fuel-and-Air/Intake-Manifold

Then when you need new rubber,you can just replace it without haveing to spend more $$$$ for a complete intake....I am running one of these on my pilot and have no complaints....

mattwo

• View Profile
Intake boot on evilbay
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
Well, almost both the same price... I'm away from my Ody so I can't measure the stock one. Think it's 32mm but i'm not 100% sure.

Do you think I should buy the stock one or the 33-39mm one? I'm running a mikuni vm-34, a bit tight in the stock boot, but stretched with time. tx for the reply.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Intake boot on evilbay
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Quote from: "mattwo"
Well, almost both the same price... I'm away from my Ody so I can't measure the stock one. Think it's 32mm but i'm not 100% sure.

Do you think I should buy the stock one or the 33-39mm one? I'm running a mikuni vm-34, a bit tight in the stock boot, but stretched with time. tx for the reply.

Where you will save is when the rubber tears again,which it eventually will.....Then you can just replace the rubber boot instead of haveing to replace the whole thing....The new boot will have to be stretched to accept the 34mm carb,and there is a chance it will bust it if the rubber used on the intake isn't as flexible as the stock one was....

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Intake boot on evilbay
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »
I can also get a boot specific to the VM34 that will fit the aluminum flange. Those boots are a standard item created by Mikuni to mount their spigot mount cars to the Walbro WD mounting pattern typical on snowmobiles in the 70s. There are boots for many carb sizes.

mattwo

• View Profile
Intake boot on evilbay
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 07:31:37 PM »
Quote from: "Hoodlum"
Where you will save is when the rubber tears again,which it eventually will.....Then you can just replace the rubber boot instead of haveing to replace the whole thing....The new boot will have to be stretched to accept the 34mm carb,and there is a chance it will bust it if the rubber used on the intake isn't as flexible as the stock one was....

Thank for the reply, now my question is: do you think the 33-39mm will be too big to ensure a tight fit? How can it fit well on both 33 or 39 with a 5mm difference?

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Intake boot on evilbay
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Because the 33 and the 35 have the same OD on the spigot. The 38 and 39 are the same, a tad bigger than the 33 and 35. The 33/35 Keihin and a 38 Mikuni fit in without stretching the boot, the 38 and 39 Keihin stretch the boot a bit. The boot is not like the stock one though. It is thicker and softer.

The part number for the boot listed as for 33-39 is based on a Mikuni part designed for their 38mm carbs.