Author Topic: oil in head  (Read 1847 times)

sandman2.2

• View Profile
oil in head
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:23:33 AM »
ok so i have this fl350 with water cooled head and i believe the top was rebuilt recently but it wont start at the moment because it is pulling massive amounts of oil up from the crankcase???? any ideas?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: oil in head
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »
Quote from: "sandman2.2"
ok so i have this fl350 with water cooled head and i believe the top was rebuilt recently but it wont start at the moment because it is pulling massive amounts of oil up from the crankcase???? any ideas?

The only oil that should be in the crankcase is what gets in there from the fuel mix...If the top of the piston and plug is wet ,you are either running way to rich,or your carb has some problems...It could also have a bunch of fuel sitting in the crankcase for some reason that is getting pulled up....You may also be running to much oil in the mix if it's just oil sludge....What ratio are you running? The only other thing I could thing of would be if it is pulling oil from the balancer area,but if this was the case,you will see a drop in the balancer oil level....
Hoodlum

sandman2.2

• View Profile
Thank you hoodlum,,
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:18:22 AM »
That's kinda what I figured,, the 350 has been sitting for about 6 months and I think it must have fille the crankcase full of old oily gas,, I bought it this way so I will reassemble it tonight and let you know what happens ,,

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
oil in head
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 04:01:11 PM »
If the fuel pump is bad, fuel can go straight into the crank case through the pulse line.

sandman2.2

• View Profile
Ok it runs,,, BUT
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 07:45:08 PM »
It runs off with itself ??? I have a stock carb and a mukini pro series and tried both,, it fires right up idles for about 3 seconds then tachs up and won't shut off without stuffing a rag in the carb???

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
oil in head
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 10:33:52 AM »
Make sure the carb slide is fully closing at idle.

If it were leaking fuel through the fuel pump diaphragm and also has an air leak, you would be getting fuel and air in addition to what is going through the carb. It is very common for FL350s that still have the original crank seals for them to be leaking. The intake boot can also be dried out and cracked.

I would check for air leaks in the engine. He is a tester to do that:
http://aftershockmotorsports.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=20

sandman2.2

• View Profile
Runs away
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »
Sry,, I guess I should have mentioned it is gravity feed and has a fuel cell on it ... The guy I got it from had just had the case sealed ,, but who knows lol

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
oil in head
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
The stock slow jet is very large. It could be getting fuel from there. Regardless, I would be looking for an air leak.