Author Topic: timing? .25 OB carb settings?  (Read 2899 times)

250fly

timing? .25 OB carb settings?
« on: May 13, 2011, 03:46:39 AM »
Ive finally bought all the parts i needed(basically everythings newish besides the cyclinder and head) still coming in the mail though. Im getting everything clean and ready and came across some questions i need some help with. I've got a new bottom end and im using the old stator plate, rotor, and pull start from my old one, and I was wondering how to time the beast? Ive read to online manual on it but its so vague I i dont fully understand because i dont understand how all the parts work with one another.
   I've got a .25 ob piston coming and i was wondering how that will affect my needle clip and jet size? Do i richen the carb for breakin? How long till I can ride it like a bat out of hell?

Cant wait to have two of them up and running, anyone know about 86 yamaha yz125? just throwin it out there I've got some old crap lol
thanks

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »
I've got a new bottom end and im using the old stator plate, rotor, and pull start from my old one, and I was wondering how to time the beast?

The timing will be automatically set by the flywheel key on the crankshaft...The only thing you will have to do is set the points gap....

I've got a .25 ob piston coming and i was wondering how that will affect my needle clip and jet size? Do i richen the carb for breakin? How long till I can ride it like a bat out of hell

Lower the clip on the needle one notch and see how it runs...Usually,a .25 over piston will not have a dramatic effect on jetting....Don't worry about makeing it extra rich for break in....Take your time,take it easy for a couple of tanks of fuel,and don't do any hard sustained runs...Just choppy throttle runs...After a couple of tanks,give her h@*&.....
Hoodlum

whammo77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:05 PM »
What year model do you have?

Also, what type of piston did you buy? I have heard that once the motor is broken in, it is still best to wamr your engine up good everytime you ride before you give it hell. I have heard this is especially true with Wiseco pistons. I have Wiseco in one of my fl250's, and have never had a problem, but I have always let the engine get good and warm before gettin hard on the throttle.  :)

250fly

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 05:04:54 PM »
hey hey its been a while i finely got enough money together to get the beast all put back together and got it running! it started up really easy and normally will start on the second pull. im having some more problems though with the clucth its all stock and old. i took the clucth off the motor and took of the cover a while back didnt see amyhting broken so i slapped it back together. Starting i realized that its not working right or its way out of adjustment( if there is any?idk much). There is about a 1/4-3/8s inch gap between the belt and the moveable plate on the clutch when stop/idle, i hit the gas and it makes a loud rattling noise.

The motor also isnt workin out the best. ive probably ran it a hour and a half. the more i run it the worst it seems to get. It used to idle now just shakes hardcore and wants to die when idling, and bogs out really bad when i try and get it going, hit about 5-10 mph and then the power ban hits and then it wants to go then.
Br8 plug
air/fuel screw-1.75-2 turns out
fuel mix- 26-30 to 1
needle clip- tried raise clip one notch ran terribly- middle seemed much better.

im 19 trying to figure these beasts out.. i need some know how!

250fly

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 05:16:10 PM »
o yeah and for some reason it doesnt want to start when its warmed up! i have to give it a little gas that it will start. it doesnt want to idle after its warm but it will purr like a kitten when its cold! im missing something i just dont know what its it.

the motor mounts to the frame are a little worn out and it shakes pretty bad would that affect how it runs? im fixing it right now cause it cant be good.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
Have you done any plug cops to see if you are running rich? Some clutches will make a rattleing noise,but most of the time it is during idle,and will stop when you give it gas....Not very familiar with the 250's though....