Author Topic: blew up two fl350 in less then an hour FML.  (Read 2309 times)

jpuga87

• View Profile
blew up two fl350 in less then an hour FML.
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:08:59 AM »
i took both my 85 fl350's out today and it sounds like i blew both tope ends. these motors where just rebuilt 3 rides ago . so heres what happend.. i was just putting around in them for a good 45min and did a couple high speed runs and bamm just stalls and that was it. attempted to restart but no compression whatsoever . second odyssey same story putted around 45 min top speed run down the straight maybe held it for a good 8 seconds and stall and dead but there is still compression but the pull start feels like there is some metal to metal contact in there ?. so anyways how do u guys think this is gonna run me to get these two guys up and running again ?

a few more th9ings worth noting.

weather somewhere in the 90s and terrain sand and gravel really loose stuff. elevation not too sure but i was san bernandino so im guessing sea level or slightly above.

both odyssey have less than 30 hours and both are running bigger carbs water cooled heads comet clutches and wiseco pistons.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: blew up two fl350 in less then an hour FML.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
Quote from: "jpuga87"
i took both my 85 fl350's out today and it sounds like i blew both tope ends. these motors where just rebuilt 3 rides ago . so heres what happend.. i was just putting around in them for a good 45min and did a couple high speed runs and bamm just stalls and that was it. attempted to restart but no compression whatsoever . second odyssey same story putted around 45 min top speed run down the straight maybe held it for a good 8 seconds and stall and dead but there is still compression but the pull start feels like there is some metal to metal contact in there ?. so anyways how do u guys think this is gonna run me to get these two guys up and running again ?

a few more th9ings worth noting.

weather somewhere in the 90s and terrain sand and gravel really loose stuff. elevation not too sure but i was san bernandino so im guessing sea level or slightly above.

both odyssey have less than 30 hours and both are running bigger carbs water cooled heads comet clutches and wiseco pistons.

Who bored the cylinders for you? Do you know how much clearance they left? Did they relieve the exhaust bridge?
If these were correct,you either had an air leak,or you were rinning too lean.....Or....What kind of air filter you running? Could have sucked in dust.....
As for cost,usually between 250 and 300 each if you do the work....
Hoodlum

jpuga87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
im running a k&n filter. they where just recently rebuilt but i will have pics up in the next few days just too pissed off right now to get them off the trailer lol.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:11:26 PM »
im running a k&n filter. they where just recently rebuilt but i will have pics up in the next few days just too pissed off right now to get them off the trailer lol.

If it was dusty,that may have been your problem....K&N's suck lots of dust....Get a uni before you run them again....

jpuga87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:43:40 PM »
just dissasembled the motor and there is a hole about the size of a dime right thru the piston its quite impressive :( . but anyways heres my question the debree from the piston fell in the bottom end of the motor does that mean i have to split the cases or will i be ok just vacumming out all the debree with a shop vac and wd40 ?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
just dissasembled the motor and there is a hole about the size of a dime right thru the piston its quite impressive :( . but anyways heres my question the debree from the piston fell in the bottom end of the motor does that mean i have to split the cases or will i be ok just vacumming out all the debree with a shop vac and wd40 ?

Clean it out best you can...Use kerosene to flush it out...After you wash it out good,check for roughness in the bearings...There have been many people that melted pistons withoud doing a bottom end...
You either melted it from running too lean,or you were detonating from either old gas,or too low of octane....
Hoodlum