Author Topic: Clutch Issue  (Read 1545 times)

haggy

• View Profile
Clutch Issue
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
Hey folks - so glad to find this forum...

I grew up riding these and just got one for the kids (and myself haha).

The question I have regards the clutch.

This thing runs GREAT on any hard surface, but the minute I move from the road to the snow the clutch just starts slipping.

I thought maybe snow was packing in and causing the issue but I watched it just a few minutes ago and that was not the case.

When I got it home it ran great in the snow last month, then it sat in my garage and I noticed it has a leak from the clutch area so I made sure it was full there as well before riding.

The belt seems to be quite loose, and I am not sure how you tighten that on these clutches either.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:47:52 PM »
Quote from: "haggy"
Hey folks - so glad to find this forum...

I grew up riding these and just got one for the kids (and myself haha).

The question I have regards the clutch.

This thing runs GREAT on any hard surface, but the minute I move from the road to the snow the clutch just starts slipping.

I thought maybe snow was packing in and causing the issue but I watched it just a few minutes ago and that was not the case.

When I got it home it ran great in the snow last month, then it sat in my garage and I noticed it has a leak from the clutch area so I made sure it was full there as well before riding.

The belt seems to be quite loose, and I am not sure how you tighten that on these clutches either.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

No adjustment for the belt.....If it is stretched or worn,it must be replaced....Can you explain more on the leak? Is it leaking around the crank behind the clutch? Are you sure whatever is leaking isn't getting on the belt making it slip?
Hoodlum

haggy

• View Profile
Clutch Issue
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 06:05:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply Hoodlum -

It is leaking from the bottom of the reduction case, just a tiny drip.

I had someone look at it today with more experience. He pointed out the the plastic knobs on the torque brackets on the driven pulley are shot and I am rubbing metal on metal there and that may cause a problem...

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Clutch Issue
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »
Quote from: "haggy"
Thanks for the reply Hoodlum -

It is leaking from the bottom of the reduction case, just a tiny drip.

I had someone look at it today with more experience. He pointed out the the plastic knobs on the torque brackets on the driven pulley are shot and I am rubbing metal on metal there and that may cause a problem...

That could very well cause a problem....