Author Topic: Engine Lubrication  (Read 2299 times)

j11eck

• View Profile
Engine Lubrication
« on: March 30, 2009, 02:46:19 AM »
I am extremely new to this world of the Fl250. I recently acquired one that was in several pieces and I am trying to understand how it works as I put it back together so that I do not make any serious mistakes.

My odyssey is a 1983 Fl250, when I received it, the carb, fuel cell, fuel pump and the rear cage were all removed. I believe I have figured out the proper plumping of the fuel tank and carb, I have repaired the leaks in the tank, and I am about to reassembly the fl250.  I have test fired the engine (immediately killing it once it starts) by simply gravity feed fuel flow. I was impressed that it only required 2 pulls to start with the choke in the on position.

Being new to a 2-cycle engine, my question is this, if the port on the engine only operates the diaphragm pump, how is the engine lubricated on the bottom end, or am I a complete idiot and no lubrication required due to the use of ball bearings? Furthermore, is there anything else that commonly overlooked in this process by a noobie?

I welcome any advice you may have to offer me.

Jeff Eck
www.premiertrikes.com

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Engine Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:30:53 AM »
Quote from: "j11eck"
I am extremely new to this world of the Fl250. I recently acquired one that was in several pieces and I am trying to understand how it works as I put it back together so that I do not make any serious mistakes.

My odyssey is a 1983 Fl250, when I received it, the carb, fuel cell, fuel pump and the rear cage were all removed. I believe I have figured out the proper plumping of the fuel tank and carb, I have repaired the leaks in the tank, and I am about to reassembly the fl250.  I have test fired the engine (immediately killing it once it starts) by simply gravity feed fuel flow. I was impressed that it only required 2 pulls to start with the choke in the on position.

Being new to a 2-cycle engine, my question is this, if the port on the engine only operates the diaphragm pump, how is the engine lubricated on the bottom end, or am I a complete idiot and no lubrication required due to the use of ball bearings? Furthermore, is there anything else that commonly overlooked in this process by a noobie?

I welcome any advice you may have to offer me.

Jeff Eck
www.premiertrikes.com

The lower end is lubed bythe 2 stroke oil that you put in the fuel...When the piston goes up for the compression stroke,the vaccum created in the lower end pulls fuel into it,then as the piston goes back down,the fuel is forced throught the ports to the top of the piston and the process repeats...That's why you should only use a high quality 2 stroke oil...There is a lot depending on it...
Hoodlum

j11eck

• View Profile
Engine Lubrication
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
Can someone tell me about the oil specifications? In 2 cycle oils I have seen a universal oil and TC-W in the store, is there a difference?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
oil
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 04:57:04 PM »
Quote from: "j11eck"
Can someone tell me about the oil specifications? In 2 cycle oils I have seen a universal oil and TC-W in the store, is there a difference?

tcw is for outboard marine engines....The universal crap is just that...Don't use it....Use Amsoil or some other quality synthetic oil....Bel-Ray makes a good oil as well....
Hoodlum

Weed

• View Profile
Engine Lubrication
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »
Amen Hoodlum.....If you can't find Bel-Ray or Amsoil around where you are let me know.  I am a Bel-ray dealer.

mikeatchison123

• View Profile
Engine Lubrication
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »
castor 927 premix all the way!!! used it for years never left me a stray