Author Topic: bought a 350...help  (Read 1822 times)

jzuniga

• View Profile
bought a 350...help
« on: December 21, 2010, 05:25:28 PM »
i bought this 350 today for 1500 heres the good
1.new tires/alumn rims
2.new top end
new plastics
4.new filter
5.new seats /belts
6. never been rolled great original paint job
7.new stock clutch

the bad
1.169.00 in dmv fees
2.exhaust leak at cylinder from the exhaust dg pipe..its missing the 2 springs that connects to cylinder intake [i think].
3.1 light flickers ,,loose wire?

can any of you experts tell me if i did the right purchase..i checked comp and it was 120..starter works trans shifts great

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: bought a 350...help
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
Quote from: "jzuniga"
i bought this 350 today for 1500 heres the good
1.new tires/alumn rims
2.new top end
new plastics
4.new filter
5.new seats /belts
6. never been rolled great original paint job
7.new stock clutch

the bad
1.169.00 in dmv fees
2.exhaust leak at cylinder from the exhaust dg pipe..its missing the 2 springs that connects to cylinder intake [i think].
3.1 light flickers ,,loose wire?

can any of you experts tell me if i did the right purchase..i checked comp and it was 120..starter works trans shifts great

Did you hold the throttle wide open when doing the compression test? If you did,then it will need a top-end soon.....Still not a bad price though....

Hoodlum

jzuniga

• View Profile
bought a 350...help
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 01:25:10 AM »
no i did not, only half throttle. missing the 2 springs on the pipe. would that cause the leak because the exhaust end is not seated all the way against the cylinder.

is this normal to have carbon built up on the exhaust flange . or is this a sign of the top end going  bad

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
bought a 350...help
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:44 AM »
Quote from: "jzuniga"
no i did not, only half throttle. missing the 2 springs on the pipe. would that cause the leak because the exhaust end is not seated all the way against the cylinder.

is this normal to have carbon built up on the exhaust flange . or is this a sign of the top end going  bad

The springs don't really do much for sealing the exhaust....There is a sealing ring that fits around the manifold that does most of the sealing....The springs are there mainly to keep the pipe from seperating from the engine....Even with the ring,it will not seal completely,and the carbon will keep the ring from sealing too....If you are seeing oil on the front of the engine,it is probably due to a rich condition and excess fuel is being blown out of the joint which is normal....Most people run the 350 rich to help prevent siezure.......
You need to hold the throttle open to get an accurate compression reading.....
Hoodlum

jzuniga

• View Profile
bought a 350...help
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »
thanks for the info  i did notice that when i first started it .it smoked really bad i just assumed it was a high mixture. i drained the fuel added 32.1 fresh fuel and the carbon reduced considerably

what should the compression be at full throttle. also what is the best way to check the compression in your opinion tools etc.