Author Topic: comet 102  (Read 2284 times)

girth first

• View Profile
comet 102
« on: December 19, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »
Wondering if anyone has a schematic for a 102 comet clutch, would like to see how its built and what its tolerances are. i think im going to install a heal clicker upgrade to it and want to know if its worth the hassle. thanks in advance

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: comet 102
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
Quote from: "girth first"
Wondering if anyone has a schematic for a 102 comet clutch, would like to see how its built and what its tolerances are. i think im going to install a heal clicker upgrade to it and want to know if its worth the hassle. thanks in advance

Not a hassle to install the heelclicker,but a major hassle to tune it....Too many variables and too many adjustments....Adjustments for engagement,low mid and high shift-outs as well as backshift....Not to mention changeing one thing will in turn change something else.....I would suggest talking to someone familiar with a good setup for the oddy and either buying new spring/weights and forgetting the heelclicker...Don't get me wrong,the heelclicker works well for the clutch,but be prepared to spend several hours adjusting and tuning before you get it where you want it...Also be prepared to study a bunch to figure out what changes certain variables of the clutch....
I had one several years ago,and ended up selling it and getting a 94c....Much easier to adjust and performed just as well....Actually better....
Hoodlum

girth first

• View Profile
clutch
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »
How does the 102 perform with out the kit. i havent recieved mine yet i bought it off evel-bay and am weighing my options at this point. seeings that it is used i would think someone would have at least started to tune the thing. if i could find a schematic im sure i can figure this one out.
and by the way thanks for all your help in my futile attempt to figure these machines out.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: clutch
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 03:17:46 PM »
Quote from: "girth first"
How does the 102 perform with out the kit. i havent recieved mine yet i bought it off evel-bay and am weighing my options at this point. seeings that it is used i would think someone would have at least started to tune the thing. if i could find a schematic im sure i can figure this one out.
and by the way thanks for all your help in my futile attempt to figure these machines out.

My best advice would be to get on some of the snowmobile forums and read/ask questions....These clutches are used extensively on them,and they are much more knowledgable about them than me....
You're welcome for the help...I just hope some of it has been productive....
Hoodlum

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
comet 102
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
This isn't a very good scan of my Comet catalog, but it may help you.

The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

girth first

• View Profile
clutch
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 08:39:55 PM »
Kick ass thanks odypilot, still wondering if i realy want to go through the hassel of trying to tune the heal clicker on this 102 or go with a 94 c like Hoodlum suggest.I have a 94 on one of my 250s that made a ton of differance to it. Do you run a stock 102 or know anyone that does? wondering if just putn the 102 with out the heal clicker would be worth my while, anyone else on this forum is welcome to chime in on preference between these clutches.