Author Topic: power bloc install  (Read 2496 times)

FL 4OO DOGG

• View Profile
power bloc install
« on: October 09, 2010, 05:13:44 PM »
Having problems with the bolt comeing loose on my power bloc 4-8 hours after installed,is this normal?The D was lined up and the torque was set at 80lbs.When I took it off the D ring was rounded and the shaft D was distorted as well.I'm 99.9 % sure it was lined up when installed.Is this common?

afastcar

• View Profile
power bloc install
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:22:57 PM »
Do you have the tool to keep the clutch compressed when you install the cover? it makes it much easier to know when the slot is lined up, when i first install the clutch it always works its way loose the first few rides, we draw a line across the bolt head and cover that way you can glance at it after each ride and see if it moved.

for the first few ride trips after i come back in from a ride i retorque the clutch the best way i have found to do this is I bought a huge set of channel locks and open them up till they fit one of the puck bosses and have a buddy hold the clutch from moving (grab the meatiest part of the housing so you dont distort where the puck slides) then I retorque the clutch (this is the best way I have found to get a true feel on the torque wrench) after each time you retorque it you will have to use brake clean and a rag to wipe the old sharpie marks off the bolt head and cover then remark, this is the best way I have found to keep an eye on the clutch, i have had it where it has taken 6 or 7 times till the bolt finally stopped moving then I just check it once a trip.

afastcar

• View Profile
power bloc install
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »
I found this picture of a home made tool on another site I do the same thing with a large set of channel locks.

FL 4OO DOGG

• View Profile
power bloc
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 12:04:49 PM »
So what your saying is that even though I installed it correctly it tends to loosen up  anyway and to just mark it and keep an eye on the marks for movement?                                                                                                       I do have a holder tool  from atvr and I think I just used a big monkey wrench to hold the clutch while torking it down.Is it common for correctly installed power blocs to loosen up?

afastcar

• View Profile
power bloc install
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »
yes all of the power bloc clutches I have installed needed retorqued after running a handful of times before the bolt would not move anymore.

FL 4OO DOGG

• View Profile
power bloc
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 11:37:19 AM »
Thanks buddy.I,m just trying to figure out if I,m installing correctly.After distroying two clutches already its getting a little spendy,live and learn I guess.

afastcar

• View Profile
power bloc install
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:41:38 PM »
I know I ruined one myself and from reading on the tech boards found out about marking the bolt but then figured I would just retorque it after each ride to keep an eye on it, then once it quit coming loose I check it once before each trip I also retorque my lug nuts once a day (i wallowed out a brand new set of rims once much easier and cheaper to check them once a day)

I carry the torque wrench and channel locks with me now.

your clutches might not be junk a guy on another board has fixed them before, you dont need the D slot the old power blocs didnt have them I have one of the old ones and it works fine, good luck.