Author Topic: Storage  (Read 2583 times)

mattwo

• View Profile
Storage
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:59:36 PM »
I'm gonna have to store my Ody. This was not something I was fearing and I'm kind of rushed to put my machine out of what once was ?my garage?. It's something I can't fight, I'm just really unhappy I have to leave. Anyway, I found 2 places where I can store it, one is on a wood floor, second is on a concrete floor.

Both places are non-heated and will face Qc winter temperatures. The place with a concrete floor is more isolated than the one with a wood floor. The one with the wood floor will gets more air flow. Any advices?

Frame bolts are in stainless, and many others too.

WD-40 or not?

What's most important to care about?

Tx Ody experts!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Storage
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Quote from: "mattwo"
I'm gonna have to store my Ody. This was not something I was fearing and I'm kind of rushed to put my machine out of what once was ?my garage?. It's something I can't fight, I'm just really unhappy I have to leave. Anyway, I found 2 places where I can store it, one is on a wood floor, second is on a concrete floor.

Both places are non-heated and will face Qc winter temperatures. The place with a concrete floor is more isolated than the one with a wood floor. The one with the wood floor will gets more air flow. Any advices?

Frame bolts are in stainless, and many others too.

WD-40 or not?

What's most important to care about?
Tx Ody experts!

I wouldn't worry much about anything except for the fuel system.....Fill the tank up completely and add a good stabilizer to it.....This will keep the tank from rusting....If the fuel has ethanol in it,turn the fuel off and run the engine until it dies then drain the carb to get all the fuel out of it or it could possibly ruin your carb....You may want to put it on jack stands as well to keep the tires from flat spotting....If they hold air well,you can also air them up tight enough to take the flat spot out of them when it is sitting on the ground....This will also help keep them from flat spotting....
When mine sets for a while,I spray the entire machine down good with pb blaster....This will not only protect from rust,but will also keep rubber lines and hoses from dry rotting.....
Hoodlum

mattwo

• View Profile
Storage
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 04:42:12 PM »
Tank you for the tricks...

You never make the engine die with storage oil? It's a process most 2-stokes snowmobile owners do when spring comes no?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Storage
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
Quote from: "mattwo"
Tank you for the tricks...

You never make the engine die with storage oil? It's a process most 2-stokes snowmobile owners do when spring comes no?

Never have...The engine is coated from normal running....Any excess would just puddle in the bottom of the engine....You might pour some into the cylinder and turn it over a few times to coat the cylinder good....