Author Topic: crazy problem  (Read 2826 times)

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
alright, so i just bought an fl350 with a bunch of new parts...(top end, reeds, starter,.....). This thing runs great until it is warm. Once it is warm, i can hold it open for about 5 seconds. After that, it cuts out, but it will start back up without a problem and then i can get another 5 seconds out of it. If i let off the gas before it dies, it will keep running. However, it will only run at idle in gear, not high enough for the clutch to engage. If i shift it into neutral, i can rev it up no problem still. When the motors cold, i can hold it wide open....is it possible that the fuel pump is going out or? clutch?? jetting??? IDFK!!!!!!!!!!

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »
oh, and all the fuel lines were replaced

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 05:19:30 PM »
I would check the fuel filter first...The pump would be next after that....

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »
alright, i checked the fuel filter, and it looks new (although its a pretty small one......) so fuel pump next?

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 06:05:01 PM »
Alright, it was the fuel pump. i have it set up as gravity feed off of a dirt bike gas tank right now and it runs really good! Im ordering a new fuel pump....Now i just gotta bleed the brakes and get some new front tires and it should be set.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:06:38 AM »
Thanks for posting back...Glad to hear you got it going....

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
Alright, new fuel pump came in. I put it on, and it runs GREAT for about 3 minutes, then it cuts out? the it will start back up if i pop the fuel line that runs from the T-joint to the top of the gas tank off, then i can put it back on and run for another 3 min? its not gettin enough fuel, but i don't know why. could it be that T-joint? I heard honda made a bad bunch of them......whats the point of that T anyway?

Thanks,
Trent

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:22 PM »
Quote from: "kxracer987"
Alright, new fuel pump came in. I put it on, and it runs GREAT for about 3 minutes, then it cuts out? the it will start back up if i pop the fuel line that runs from the T-joint to the top of the gas tank off, then i can put it back on and run for another 3 min? its not gettin enough fuel, but i don't know why. could it be that T-joint? I heard honda made a bad bunch of them......whats the point of that T anyway?

Thanks,
Trent

Have you checked to make sure the vent in your fuel cap isn't clogged? If it is,it will build vaccum in the tank that will override the pump....

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:39:42 PM »
No i have not! Think i should just try to blow through it with an air compressor or? I have no idea how to make sure it isnt clogged, lol

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:59:00 PM »
Quote from: "kxracer987"
No i have not! Think i should just try to blow through it with an air compressor or? I have no idea how to make sure it isnt clogged, lol

I would fill up a small bowl of carb cleaner and soak the cap in it then try to blow it out. Not real sure where the 350 vents from. I think it vents through the key hole but not positive. You could also run it with the cap off for a short time with a low fuel level so it doesn't slosh out to see if that fixes it.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »
The vacuum hose running to the fuel pump could be too soft - if it has been replaced with something too soft or has gone soft it may be caving in on the vacuum pulses and as a result the pump would not be operating properly.  That would cause symptoms similar to what you're describing.

kxracer987

• View Profile
crazy problem
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
I'll try runnin with no cap for a bit. If that doesnt fix it, I'll try a different fuel line. I probably never would have thought of that, haha.....its gotta be something simple....

EDIT: anyone know what the ID of the fuel lines is?

christian

• View Profile
what ended up fixing it?
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 11:35:09 PM »
Hello
  Just wondering what ended up fixing your problem? I have a similar thing I'm chasing with a machine right now and its driving me crazy.
Thanks!!