Author Topic: new member with alot of questions  (Read 1558 times)

oddy crazy

• View Profile
new member with alot of questions
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:43 PM »
Hi I have had a 77 oddy for about a month now.I rode it for about 1 week then the points went bad so i purchased a new set and installed them .I dont know exactly where to set them. i downloaded the online manual and it said set them at .012-0.16  but i guess i am stupid when it comes to points .I have a feeler guage and i understand what gap means but i have no idea which  line on the flywheel to set it on i can get spark and can sometimes get it to fire and kinda run for a few seconds . i have checked every thing compression is 128 psi when engine is warmed up with carb fully open  stater and flywheel and spark advancer seem to be in great shape.I still dont know where the points should be set.when I pull the plug it seems to be extremly wet so i guess what im trying to figure out is if its the timing or flooding . PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLEY APPRICIATED

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: new member with alot of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:38:51 AM »
Quote from: "oddy crazy"
Hi I have had a 77 oddy for about a month now.I rode it for about 1 week then the points went bad so i purchased a new set and installed them .I dont know exactly where to set them. i downloaded the online manual and it said set them at .012-0.16  but i guess i am stupid when it comes to points .I have a feeler guage and i understand what gap means but i have no idea which  line on the flywheel to set it on i can get spark and can sometimes get it to fire and kinda run for a few seconds . i have checked every thing compression is 128 psi when engine is warmed up with carb fully open  stater and flywheel and spark advancer seem to be in great shape.I still dont know where the points should be set.when I pull the plug it seems to be extremly wet so i guess what im trying to figure out is if its the timing or flooding . PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLEY APPRICIATED

Slowly turn over the engine and watch the points....They should be set at the point where they are the fartherest apart.....Also check to make sure the flywheel key isn't sheared,which is a problem with the 250's....Try a new plug too,and pull the plug wire out of the boot,cut off about 1/4" and then push it back in....Sometimes the wire goes bad there and loses connection....
Hoodlum