Author Topic: Brake questions  (Read 1544 times)

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
Brake questions
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:57:24 AM »
How do your guys breaks work on the odyssey? Im rebuild a beater i bought for $350. I rebuilt the master cylinder, caliper, and wheel cylinders.  I adjusted everything according to manual. But for some reason i dont get any breaking at the wheels untill the levers are over 2/3 pulled. Also Can still manually turn the tire with full breaks. Is this normal? My friends oddy has never stopped very good at all.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Brake questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 08:36:26 AM »
Quote from: "gmcjimmy4x4"
How do your guys breaks work on the odyssey? Im rebuild a beater i bought for $350. I rebuilt the master cylinder, caliper, and wheel cylinders.  I adjusted everything according to manual. But for some reason i dont get any breaking at the wheels untill the levers are over 2/3 pulled. Also Can still manually turn the tire with full breaks. Is this normal? My friends oddy has never stopped very good at all.

Ususally after putting on new pads,they will have to wear in a bit before they get at their best....Also,you need braided steel lines...The rubber lines get old and become too flexible....When you apply the brakes,they will swell and cause the brake levers to go down a long ways before they are activated,and makes them weak as well.....The brake lines make a huge difference........
You can get them here...
http://www.aftershockmotorsports.com
or
http://www.pilotodysseyperformance.com

Hoodlum

Adnoh

• View Profile
Brake questions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 11:09:14 AM »
On the 350 there is cables that accuate the master cylinder via a leverage system. Do you have them adjusted correctly and all the air out of the lines.

If every thing is adjusted correcty they should lock up easily.

Other things to check:
The rear slid pin on the pads

Pressure at the wheel cylinders, making sure your master rebuild is good no bypass under pressure.

The caliper slid pins not hanging up rear pads.

Does it lock up using parking brake.

If so then it a pressure problem or adjustment problem. If the rear does not lock up using parking break look a disc and pads and related parts.

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
Brake questions
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I did replace the slide pin and adjusted all the cables per the manual. I adjustd the cables some more putting contant preasure on the pistons but still no brake feeling when you turn the wheels and now they seem to work better. I also dont have the thing in running condition so im just playng with it on jack stands right now. I think i might try to ditch those 30 year old rubber lines next.