Author Topic: Added Fuel pump to gravity fed tank  (Read 1737 times)

W8kski

• View Profile
Added Fuel pump to gravity fed tank
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:00 AM »
I've added a gravity fed spun aluminum tank.  I don't have the stock fuel pump.  I bought a cheap $40 fuel pump and hooked it up below the tank, and now it seems like the Ody is flooding when i try to start it.  Before, without the fuel pump and only gravity fed, it would crank right up and run great, but as soon as I took off it was starving for fuel.  Do I need some kind of regulator to go with this fuel pump?  How many psi should the pump be set at?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Added Fuel pump to gravity fed tank
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »
Quote from: "W8kski"
I've added a gravity fed spun aluminum tank.  I don't have the stock fuel pump.  I bought a cheap $40 fuel pump and hooked it up below the tank, and now it seems like the Ody is flooding when i try to start it.  Before, without the fuel pump and only gravity fed, it would crank right up and run great, but as soon as I took off it was starving for fuel.  Do I need some kind of regulator to go with this fuel pump?  How many psi should the pump be set at?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

There is an inline check valve in the stock fuel system that allows excess pressure to be relieved,and return the extra fuel to the tank...Without it,the pump continually builds pressure in the line and id probably over riding the float needle valve......You should be able to run the gravity feed with no pump....You have to replace the needle/float valve with a gravity feed valve....I am not certain on the specifics,but I am sure with a little searching here,you can find more info on it....
Hoodlum