Author Topic: engine swap  (Read 2280 times)

girth first

• View Profile
engine swap
« on: January 31, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »
Greetings and salutations from the great NW, just wondering if i were goin to do a engine swap on a 350 what is the biggest motor i can couple to the trans. I think i read a few forum questions dealing with this subject but never thought i might be doin one myself, so it went in one eyeball and out the other. what i do remember is that someone was sayn something about the 350 trans being inferiour to the 400 trans.That being said on to the second subject,is there a motor that is easier to put in with minimal mods, and yes i realize no swap is goin to be easy.
any advise would be more than welcome...

Thanks
                                                                                          Shain

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »
no words of wisdom

atvnut

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 08:38:37 AM »
Well your on the right path. Research everything and don't just go out and buy the cheapest engine. First of all lay down some guidelines of what your going to use the machine for and the research what engines would comply to this. Be sure to research your limitations as well.
Thank you
"The Nut"

Adnoh

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
Not sure on which trans is stronger. The 400 has a slip clutch in it and set up for cv on out put shaft. The 400 driven can not be upgraded to a sled type with out changing the input shaft if you can find one. The 350 trann can use a diff type of driven like the sleds use depending on input shaft match up and allowes for tunability than the non adjustable 400 trans when installing a sled engine and drive. The 350 alos is set up with stubs on the output shaft for a u-joint style drive line. As far as adpating drive lines to each I do not believe there is no kits avalible and each to there own depending on fab skills. This is why most start with a pilot or ody chassie /trans and drivline set up. There is some other options in the mini buggy type out there and they get pretty expensive and most use a bike engine. When installing a sled engine which has a second cylinder the engine is wider in the chassie and alignment issues withthe trans may be an issue and in most cases the fuel tank must be relocated. The other thing I noticed is the pipe. One will need to get cretive here for a clean install.

There is a deffent prefomance gain with the sled or bike engine. On my pilot I have teh throttle pined and those sled/bike engine guys just fly right by why I try to snap off my throttle cable. Plus they sound really cool. Good luck and post up pic so we may injoy as well.

girth first

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:06 PM »
Haven't made the purchace yet, but weighing the options. would it be worth the time and effort or should i just buy a pilot and pump up the motor ect.. so many choices... i already have a pilot with long travel front and a 500 kit that rips and i also have four 250 odysseys just thought the 350 would be a nice to add to the stable, just thought the 350 would be a better running mate for the pilot with a upgraded power plant. Thanks for the input, this forum has helped me so much with my problems on my machines i just wish there were more riders out here in oregon i could hook up with and go riding, so we could compare the performance of our machines. This has truely become an obsession. thanks again guys

Adnoh

• View Profile
engine swap
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »
Well since you have a lt front 500 and a 350. I would think the tanplant into the 350 will give the pilot a run for the money once the suspension was upgraded. The 500 has gobes of torgue but is not much faster than a 400 bore, Limited by rpm. Granted no replacement for displacment. I would give it a comparison between a 250r with a 320 kit verses a banshee. The R will distroy it on a track but put that banshee on the pipe on the sand and in most cases just say good buy. I have out ran several banshee in the trails but on a wide open stretch the banshee says later. Like the ody the stock banshee suspenion and GEO just is not up to snuff to chase a R unless on smooth wide open area. The ody has a advantage in the straight dus to the j-arm and trailing arm as it rolles the bumps better however the piolt is set up to turn and burn because of the a-arm setup. Change the ody to an a-arm setup in front( honda GEO prefered) and good shocks on the rear with a top end twin and the ody will levle the playing field with a LT front pilot. Now put it up against a pilot with a will installed twin and the pilot  sporting LT all the way around it will say later tator. So set up the tranpant around the riding condition to which you ride and with whom. Run there race instead of yours you most likely loose. No matter what the fun levle goes up a few notches and for me thats what I like fun fun fun. If one has a properly set up machine it will give most LT and big motor machine a run for there money. That's to say the machine is at it's peak preformance. Heck then you only want more more more. Just some thought I have on the subject.

No matter what share your thought as you go on the build with pics. WE all like pics.