Author Topic: fl350 not running right  (Read 3562 times)

vev78

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« on: December 05, 2009, 12:16:56 AM »
Just had my fl350 serviced, including cleaning out carb.  Odyssey barely idles and has zero power!  What does this sound like?  It has fresh fuel aith 40:1 mixture.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: fl350 not running right
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:58:41 AM »
Quote from: "vev78"
Just had my fl350 serviced, including cleaning out carb.  Odyssey barely idles and has zero power!  What does this sound like?  It has fresh fuel aith 40:1 mixture.

Either they screwed up the carb or you have lost compression...It sounds more like a compression issue to be honest....
Hoodlum

Adnoh

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 11:25:45 AM »
If it ran right prior to carb service I would start there. I hope you did not pay some one to service the carb and then have it run like crap. Shop do it or what. Sorry to here you have a problem We all will help the best we can. As Hoodlum mentioed get a compression reading to rule it out or factore it in.  Why did you have the carb serviced anyway.

vev78

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »
bought it from a friend who let it sit for a year or so.  Took it in to get the carb cleaned and the oil and filter changed.  The odyssey ran great last season.  It had lots of power!  The mechanic claims it is because itis too rich.  He siad he didn't change anything just cleaned the carb.  What should the compresion be?  What is too low for compression? Thank you for all the help.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:51:35 PM »
bought it from a friend who let it sit for a year or so.  Took it in to get the carb cleaned and the oil and filter changed.  The odyssey ran great last season.  It had lots of power!  The mechanic claims it is because itis too rich.  He siad he didn't change anything just cleaned the carb.  What should the compresion be?  What is too low for compression? Thank you for all the help.

If i'm not mistaken,a 350 should have around 130psi compression...It could very well be rich causeing the problem...You mentioned he changed the filter...I am assumeing you are referring to the air filter since there's no oil filter...If it was border line rich,adding a freshly oiled filter can cause it to be rich due to the air restriction of the fresh filter oil...Also make sure the plastic cage is inside the filter...If it's not,the filter can collapse,especially with fresh oil on it,causeing the air to be restricted even more....
Hoodlum

vev78

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »
yes the air filter was changed.  I will check the compression when I get it back from the mechanic.  The mechanic tells me that they run rich to not burn up the engine and that it is normal for the to be slugish for quite a distance until they clear out.  I remember driving it previously and it was very strong as soon as you gave it gas. It would always spin the tires and kick up rocks at the desert. Will a hoter plug help?

vev78

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »
I sould also add that it smoke alot and the plug was very wet when I pulled it.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:44:19 PM »
yes the air filter was changed.  I will check the compression when I get it back from the mechanic.  The mechanic tells me that they run rich to not burn up the engine and that it is normal for the to be slugish for quite a distance until they clear out.  I remember driving it previously and it was very strong as soon as you gave it gas. It would always spin the tires and kick up rocks at the desert. Will a hoter plug help?

A hotter plug will not help...Have you tried to stay on it until it cleans out like the mechanic made mention of? My pilot will be very sluggish after it sits and idles for a little bit,but cleans out and runs fine after that...
Hoodlum

vev78

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
I did not run it very long since it will not reall idle.  It shuts down before I can get it in gear.  I just wonder why before it ran so good from the start and nothing has been changed.  Is it possible it is just too rich because of a problem in the carb?  Is there a good aftermarket carb?  Thanks againg for the help.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 09:19:09 PM »
I did not run it very long since it will not reall idle.  It shuts down before I can get it in gear.  I just wonder why before it ran so good from the start and nothing has been changed.  Is it possible it is just too rich because of a problem in the carb?  Is there a good aftermarket carb?  Thanks againg for the help.

Could be just loaded up from the mechanic letting it idle...

vev78

• View Profile
fl350 not running right
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »
I left it with the mechanic to look at.  I will see what happens when I get it back.