Author Topic: Spark Plug  (Read 3168 times)

9secondhemicuda

• View Profile
Spark Plug
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:27:00 PM »
Has anyone run an NGK R (race) plug in the Fl400 pilot ?? How did it do and is worth the money in your experience? Thanks Dan

Adnoh

• View Profile
Spark Plug
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »
What is the actual number on the plug. I think the "R" stands for resister. Need the number.

9secondhemicuda

• View Profile
Spark Plug
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 08:20:58 PM »
Quote from: "adnoh"
What is the actual number on the plug. I think the "R" stands for resister. Need the number.

Thanks for replying!  I have not bought any plugs for it yet but saw that the race NGK's have a smaller wire electrode  and was wondering if they last as long and actually make a preformance difference!  I would but the same heat range in race plug  NGK BR7ES. Thanks for your time  Dan

Ozpilot

• View Profile
Spark Plug
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 09:09:42 PM »
That's a resistor plug.  From memory the racing plugs are B7EV or B7EGV (in the same heat range - the 7 gives thee heat range).

You've got to be really chasing the last bit of performance to get any benefit from the racing plugs.  You are also best off to be running expensive oil so there is very little residue.  I always run an "S" as I find them most reliable, easier for starting and they last longer (in my experience).

9secondhemicuda

• View Profile
Spark Plug
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:21 AM »
Quote from: "Ozpilot"
That's a resistor plug.  From memory the racing plugs are B7EV or B7EGV (in the same heat range - the 7 gives thee heat range).

You've got to be really chasing the last bit of performance to get any benefit from the racing plugs.  You are also best off to be running expensive oil so there is very little residue.  I always run an "S" as I find them most reliable, easier for starting and they last longer (in my experience).

Thank you for your info. I will check into the S plugs and better oil.I am running standard Yamalube at 32-1 mixture.

Thanks again for your time. Dan

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Spark Plug
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
As old as the Pilot's ignition system is (now 20 years and who knows where they got the parts - may be 30 years old by now...), a regular old NGK BR8ES or BR8EV will work just fine.

Off of NGK's web site, here's a list of the different "types" of plugs they offer.

The FAQ section covers most questions. (I learned stuff!)

PDF File of what the different numbers and letters mean.

The reason you need an "R" type plug - it's needed in your Pilot, btw...

Heat Range reasons - and w/NGK, the lower the number the 'hotter' the plug.
In a Pilot, an 8 or 9 series always worked best for me.
Heck I used BR8ES or BR8EV's in EVERY two stroke powered vehicle I owned - bikes, jet skis, Pilots, sled engines...

Pretty much the catch all/do all plug.

Lean out your mixture to 40:1 w/the Yamalube.  It's great stuff - used it for years in all my two stroke until I got out of the two smoke world and joined the valved side of life.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'