Author Topic: fl350 timing problem  (Read 3336 times)

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
fl350 timing problem
« on: September 05, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »
Hello, i've had this timing problem since i bought it. I replaced everything that has to do with the ignition,and it still sputters at quarter throttle, and the carb been looked at and its in clean working order. Do you think it could be the stater?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: fl350 timing problem
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Quote from: "blkinfinitii30"
Hello, i've had this timing problem since i bought it. I replaced everything that has to do with the ignition,and it still sputters at quarter throttle, and the carb been looked at and its in clean working order. Do you think it could be the stater?

I think you should look at the carb more...Cleanliness doesn't necessarily mean correct operation...If it's at 1/4 throttle,try letting the air screw out 1/2 turn and see if it helps...You can also raise the clip on the needle as well to lean out the mids...A worn needle will also give the results you are describing....
When you say everything,did you replace the plug wire? If not, take the boot off,trim off about 1/4 in of the wire and put the boot back on....
I doubt it's the stater...If it was,then it should run fine until the battery loses enough voltage that the engine has to run on the stater power alone...I would also think it would suffer more on top end than in the low/mids...
I would also verify the rev limiter on the tranny is working correctly...If i'm not mistaken,I have heard of instances where when it wasn't wired correctly, it wouldn't let the engine rev in forward or reverse...
Hoodlum

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
fl350 timing problem
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 09:21:50 PM »
Thanks for the reply, about the carb, i had about everybody i know adjust the air screw, moved the clip on the needle up and down. (i even put a new replacement needle on) a new wire,cdi,voltage reg,plug, and still the same problem. I heard about the rev limiter on the tranny,people were just bypassing it by just grounding it out so it doesn't go threw it so thats what i did. But it still ran the same when it was bypassed or not so i just figured that couln't be the problem, so all that was left was the stator. But i just really dont know.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
sputter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »
Thanks for the reply, about the carb, i had about everybody i know adjust the air screw, moved the clip on the needle up and down. (i even put a new replacement needle on) a new wire,cdi,voltage reg,plug, and still the same problem. I heard about the rev limiter on the tranny,people were just bypassing it by just grounding it out so it doesn't go threw it so thats what i did. But it still ran the same when it was bypassed or not so i just figured that couln't be the problem, so all that was left was the stator. But i just really dont know.

Might be the pulse generator,but 350's aren't very well known to shear the key and jump time...Not saying it's impossible but I have never heard of that happening...Has the engine been recently rebuilt or is this a problem that has been going on from the beginning?
Does the plug look wet like it's too rich? Is the fuel T in place and working properly?
Hoodlum

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
fl350 timing problem
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:01:12 AM »
I mean i did put a new pulse generator on. And it has been doing it from the begining. The plug looks black but dry, and i have a gravity fed 3.5gallon tank. I'm kind of fed up with it , I might end up taking it to a small engine repair shop... i dont know.... heres a couple PICS

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
oddy
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:07:17 AM »
Are you using the stock carb? If i'm not mistaken,there has to be something done to the valve on the carb with a gravity feed tank...I am not very educated in that area though...lol...
Hoodlum

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
fl350 timing problem
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
Yes im useing the stock carb ,but i never heard of the valve on the carb issue. How can i find more about the valve.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
valve
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
Yes im useing the stock carb ,but i never heard of the valve on the carb issue. How can i find more about the valve.

I think you have to change out the needle valve to allow fuel in...The stock valve if I remember correctly is too small to allow fuel in that isn't under pressure...The only fix besides changeing it out is to use the fuel pump instead of gravity feed...
Hoodlum

blkinfinitii30

• View Profile
fl350 timing problem
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »
Ive heard from alot of guys that say gravity fed is the way to go , because they have some problems with the stock setup. But anyway maybe i'll post something on here and see what poeple say, Hey thanks alot for the INFO.