Author Topic: my ody coughs and sputters  (Read 2176 times)

old school honda dude

• View Profile
my ody coughs and sputters
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:32:05 AM »
i have a 1980 fl250 that ran last summer, then it was parked.  my sisters idiot boy friend pulled it out while i was out of state and he realized i pulled some parts off so he could screw around with it. he pulled it out and left it in a flood, and in 100+ degree weather (it wasnt in the best of health anyway). ive finaly got it running after 3 months. I pulled on it the first time and it started just fine, and with some adjustments it idled great and it will rev up (to a certain degree). but when i go to rev it up, and hold it, it just back fires through the carb and exhaust and if I hold it while it sputters, it starts blowing gas between the head and cylinder and it makes some awful noises and when i let off, it goes back to idling, i just cant rev it to much.  ive got new gaskets also, it wont hardly turn the rear end, could somthing be wrong back there to?

im open to ANY advice or sugestions-PLEASE HELP!

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: my ody coughs and sputters
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »
Quote from: "old school honda dude"
i have a 1980 fl250 that ran last summer, then it was parked.  my sisters idiot boy friend pulled it out while i was out of state and he realized i pulled some parts off so he could screw around with it. he pulled it out and left it in a flood, and in 100+ degree weather (it wasnt in the best of health anyway). ive finaly got it running after 3 months. I pulled on it the first time and it started just fine, and with some adjustments it idled great and it will rev up (to a certain degree). but when i go to rev it up, and hold it, it just back fires through the carb and exhaust and if I hold it while it sputters, it starts blowing gas between the head and cylinder and it makes some awful noises and when i let off, it goes back to idling, i just cant rev it to much.  ive got new gaskets also, it wont hardly turn the rear end, could somthing be wrong back there to?

im open to ANY advice or sugestions-PLEASE HELP!

Well, if it's blowing fuel out between the head and cylinder, the head gasket is toast...Did he take the head off and put it back on using the old gasket?
Hoodlum

old school honda dude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:13:01 PM »
i dont know, i have put new ones since i have started working on it again, i just put them in two weeks ago and i havent removed it.

old school honda dude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
OK, i drug it out of my garage right after i posted the last post on this to see if it would drive, and it did, it drove better and better the more i drove it.  BUT.... it doesnt like hills AT ALL! every once and a while i managed to spudder up it (it is just a small raise in ground, its not realy a hill) it still blows between the head and cylinder (i just bought another gasket, the old one is blowed out) and every once and a while it peters out right after it by passed the gasket.  the back clutches tryed to work but wouldnt. i sprayed the heck out of'em with WD40 and they are working close to normal. is the clutch problem just from sitting out so long in a flood and extrem hot temps?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:54:39 PM »
What is the compression in PSI? Have you done a leakdown check? Is the clutch system operating correctly?

Do you have a manual? Free download here:
http://g2buggy.g2-innovations.com/gentech/manuals.htm

While you are at it download and read the Gordon Jennings ebook also.

lovehipr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »
Hi,I'm new here.
This forum is very interesting that I like it very much.
coach outlet office 2010 Office 2007