Author Topic: Jetting problem still.  (Read 2917 times)

aas5f6

• View Profile
Jetting problem still.
« on: May 05, 2009, 11:47:00 PM »
First let me start off I had a bad lower end leak, used JB weld to fill in the pitting and still had a decent leak, but I cannot find a crank shaft ANYWHERE!!! So I know thats probably why I am having such a hard time getting this jetting issue right.  My question is what jet do you think i should run for my FL250. I have a open pod uni airfilter and a kustom kraft pipe (i think thats the manufacturer) Help I am almost ready to give up and sell the odyssey because of this jetting issue.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Jetting problem still.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »
Quote from: "aas5f6"
First let me start off I had a bad lower end leak, used JB weld to fill in the pitting and still had a decent leak, but I cannot find a crank shaft ANYWHERE!!! So I know thats probably why I am having such a hard time getting this jetting issue right.  My question is what jet do you think i should run for my FL250. I have a open pod uni airfilter and a kustom kraft pipe (i think thats the manufacturer) Help I am almost ready to give up and sell the odyssey because of this jetting issue.

You will chase it forever unless you get that leak fixed....Take it to a machine shop and have them weld and resurface the area where the pitting is...
Hoodlum

aas5f6

• View Profile
$$$
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 01:36:35 PM »
How much will that cost?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $$$
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 03:49:55 PM »
How much will that cost?

Less than a rebuild....I have seen sleeves before that fit over seal areas for a new surface, but can't remember exactly where...Maybe someone else can chime in on that one...
Hoodlum

aas5f6

• View Profile
Process
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57:35 AM »
I called a local machine shop and he said that it would cost me around $300 dollars to get it done. I looked at several used FL250 parts sites and found some used cranks for $300 as well. I don't want to put another $300 dollars into it. I would rather sell it. Do you know of what the processes is called.  I did some searching and I found that they can grind it down but then you need an oversized bearing and seal.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Crankshaft Rebuilders
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »
I called Len's Crankshaft in St. Louis, MO and he said that the pitting just can be ground down if not to terribly bad (a few thousandths) and the rubber seal will compensate for that change. That cost $75 if its worse than that he will have to spray weld it and then turn it down to original specifications.  I am just hesitant on the first option because if it doesnt work Im out $75 and I am in the same position I am in right now. My question is do you think that the seal will take up the few thousandths missing. The crankshaft guy said those seals can give up to 15 thousandths.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Another Post
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:51:27 AM »
When I applied the JB weld to the crank, it sealed one side good but the other side (which had minor pitting but wasnt leaking before) started to leak. I am going to go leak test it again. And just to clarify if it hold 6-10 PSI for 6 minutues without dropping then Im good? But if it fails Im going to tear it apart once again and sand all the JB weld off that one side and see if that works. If not Im thinking that odyssey is gone. If so gonna trade it for a nice Yamaha blaster.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Crankshaft Rebuilders
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
I called Len's Crankshaft in St. Louis, MO and he said that the pitting just can be ground down if not to terribly bad (a few thousandths) and the rubber seal will compensate for that change. That cost $75 if its worse than that he will have to spray weld it and then turn it down to original specifications.  I am just hesitant on the first option because if it doesnt work Im out $75 and I am in the same position I am in right now. My question is do you think that the seal will take up the few thousandths missing. The crankshaft guy said those seals can give up to 15 thousandths.

It very well could...I haven''t tried that before, but they do fit pretty snug...
Hoodlum

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Jetting problem still.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
if the pitting is bad enough that the jb weld won't fix it, then turning it down won't fix it either. I've looked through all my stuff but I gave my last crank away. Buy a complete bottom end off ebay for a $50 and get a few parts while you're at it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Odyssey-FL250-2-stroke-Complete-Engine-Fast_W0QQitemZ180353879757QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item29fdedcecd&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-84-FL250-FL-250-HONDA-ODYSSEY-ENGINE-W-CLUTCH_W0QQitemZ220408179188QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ATV_Parts_Accessories?hash=item335159e9f4&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318